Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
I'm curious if we will see other problems with the new LED displays compared to the current LCDs? From what I understand, uneven illumination will largely be eliminated - what about viewing angles, color gamut, response times? 6 bit vs. 8 bit? What are the disadvantages, if any, of the new technology?

Thanks

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Assuming they do a good job of implementing the new technology, there really aren't any disadvantages.

In theory, they could do a poor job of placing the lights, such that there is still uneven lighting. They could also use LEDs that aren't as bright as the lights that are currently in use. There are probably other things they could do to cause problems, but there's nothing inherent to the technology that's inferior.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Hmm, that sounds promising though I fear apple will do something that messed it up. I wonder if there is a way for Apple to make these displays compatible with the current MBP so that those with poor displays can get better replacements. Probably not given different power consumption, thickness etc?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hmm, that sounds promising though I fear apple will do something that messed it up. I wonder if there is a way for Apple to make these displays compatible with the current MBP so that those with poor displays can get better replacements. Probably not given different power consumption, thickness etc?

probably not, there are some pretty significant differences. Replacing an entire screen would be very pricey for the consumer, and Apple usually gives out replacement parts that are exactly the same as the original parts.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
probably not, there are some pretty significant differences. Replacing an entire screen would be very pricey for the consumer, and Apple usually gives out replacement parts that are exactly the same as the original parts.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But since Apple doesn't have replacement parts that solve the problem of illumination distribution and grain it would have been nice for people to be able to get a better display. Will manufacturers continue to improve the current LCD technology given that it's still cheaper, or will everything now transition to LED?

Also, I just found this review quite good at explaining the pros and cons of the technology with insight in how it translates in real use:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/654-1/xl20-samsung-s-1rst-lcd-led.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.