Curious why EVO 4G or Nexus owner going to V-iPhone4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Darthdingo, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Would like to hear opinions of people that have real world experience with a good high end Android device, such as the EVO 4G, or Nexus-S, HTC G2, ( not the crappy Droid-X which is known to blow ) and after using it, why do you want to get rid of it and buy the Verizon iPhone4 ?

I have a rooted and custom rom on my EVO 4g, and bought a larger battery that still fits in stock case, and am pretty happy with it, but also getting the itch to maybe go back to an iPhone, but would have to be "jailbroken", so would wait for the stable jailbreak to come out first, and might get the Verizon i4.

Just want to hear opinions on why your getting rid of a nice Android device ?

2. utneon macrumors regular

better apps, better ios, fantastic synch with your mac. 326dpi screen with 960*640. You can't see a single pixel in web.

3. gta50419 macrumors 6502

Just got rid of a Mytouch4g to get an iphone 4 next week (but for ATT now that verizon don't allow the $15 data).
    Iphone 4 is just much better then android phones imo. it's better looking, have more apps, better cam, better video, better display,better music player,better battery life, better operating system. the only thing android have on iphone is more customizable & open source.

hopefully i'll never go back to android.

4. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

better apps, over 24hrs battery life with heavy usage, smoother ui, smaller form factor, less cheap feeling design... the list goes on.

But if you're into Android the Evo is one of the best phones you can have. Battery life is a big problem. I imagine that even with your aftermarket battery you still have to struggle through a day's use.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have a Droid Incredible (and an iPhone, but that's beside the point). My reasons for ditching the Droid Inc. and going back to an iPhone -

- iPod ubiquity. My car has an iPod interface, which works perfectly with the iPhone, making it very convenient. I can change tracks & playlists via the steering wheel controls, track info is shown on the car's display, the phone charges while connected with the single cable, etc. No such thing exists for Android phones.

- I have an iPad, too, so for many of my apps I don't need to buy two copies (one for the Android and one for the iPad). Usually the same app will work on both the iPhone and the iPad.

- iTunes. I know some people hate it. I happen to like it. iTunes makes syncing media to my iPhone (and iPad) very easy. I know about DoubleTwist, but since I'm a Mac user I find iTunes more convenient.

- App quality. While it is improving, the average app's quality (user interface, easy of use, etc.) on the iOS platform is much better than on Android. For so many Android apps, options are buried in menus and submenus that it reminds me of the difference between a good Mac app and a crummy Windows app.

- App quality, part 2. So many apps on Android are free, ad-driven apps that it sometimes seems like my Incredible is a hand-held billboard. I mean, after all, Google is an advertising company that uses a search engine (and now a mobile OS) to put ads in front of its users. Personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks on the iOS app store for a useful app than have to stare at ads on my phone all day.

- Size of the ecosystem. Far more accessories for iPhones (and iPods, etc). than for each of the hundred individual models of Android phones, like speaker docks and such.

- The rest of the iOS products. I have an iPad. And multiple AppleTVs. And two Airport Express speaker systems. All these operate seamlessly with the latest iOS and AirPlay. I wouldn't be able to take advantage of all that with an Android phone.

- OS reliability. While no OS is perfect, there are several bugs in Android 2.1 and 2.2 that still haven't been fixed - one big one is time zone support for calendar appointments. It simply doesn't exist in any Android version before 2.3, and at this point there is exactly one Android 2.3 device. Others will get it... maybe... eventually... when Motorola/Samsung/HTC/LG get around to it. Apple's track record for keeping existing phones' OS up to date is much better so far than Google's. And even though some devices aren't updated (like the original iPhone), the existing bugs are at least dealt with. With Android, the devices that aren't getting the Gingerbread 2.3 treatment look to be stuck with the bugs that exist. So far, no fix for the time zone issue and several others.

6. zenio macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 & heavily customized EVO, are both excellent.

They are two very different platforms which I enjoy. It keeps me up to date and in the case of Android, there's a lot of fun involved. Neither is better than the other.

For newbies it's iPhone. Nothing to learn.

Android is just as easy, then also offers tech enthusiasts like myself, lots of customization to taylor it to my liking. Designed from day one to multitask the Android OS is a full blown handheld computer with file management that is superb.

However many people cannot handle having choices. They like the locked down iPhone & that's just fine.

I prefer the power, speed, and open Android OS, that allows me to do what I want to do. I also like the rapid pace of Android development. Those who don't understand, believe in the propaganda being fostered by Apple.

Apple pushes the word fragmentation, to scare the public into buying iPhones. Fear based selling is nothing new.

Apple, like the drug companies use fear based selling very effectively. Look at all the money Apple has made convincing people Windows is too hard to use.

I give Apple high marks for it's ability to manipulate it's customers. A skill they've refined better than any other company. As a result people line up in hoards to buy Apple. When that happens my stock climbs even higher and I win too.

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perfect post, we can stop replying to this thread now :) You summed it up spot on. Seems lately the iPhone is for the Moms and Grandmas now, and the true tech geeks go for Android that like to customize and tweak their phone to their hearts desire. I have zero lockups or restarts or any problems with my rooted EVO, it just works, and works blazing fast too.

Only one thing I see the iPhone4 being better than Android, and that is battery life.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And I give Google high marks for using the word 'open' and pretending they're talking about the phone users when really that word applies to the carriers.

They don't outright lie, but they sure do everything they can to perpetuate that myth.

If that's not manipulation, I don't know what is.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's a vast difference between "moms and grandmas" and people who are interested in flashing custom ROMs on their Androids.

While active, in the grand scheme of things, the "developer" market is small compared with the number of people who just intend to use the phone as it is when it comes out of the box.

I've got a custom ROM (Cyanogen 6.1 with a black & green Gingerbread theme and a customized kernel by Kouch) on my HTC Incredible, too, but the VAST, VAST majority of Android users have no idea what that even means.

All that and I still prefer my iPhone for the reasons I've listed above. But that's why they make both. Because what's right for some is not right for others.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Which is where jailbreaking comes in and you have the best of both worlds.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

We've got a mixed-device family....iOS devices and Android devices.

The reason my family is so excited to move from their Android devices to an iPhone on Verizon entirely revolves around the iTunes App Store. There are so many applications they love on my iPhone that they can't find on the Android app store.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well said. Probably also beyond the realm of though that personal preference has any bearing here.

13. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good points, I think jailbreaking is pretty cool, it makes it more customizable like an Android phone. If I ever go back to an iPhone, there must be a jailbreak available at the time I buy one. Stock iPhones are lame.

14. agarcia34 macrumors member

I had an EVo 4g and again a phone can be great but if the service is not then what good is the phone,I had Sprint for 2 months and for half of that time I couldn't get my phone calls it would go straight to voice mail only time i knew you called is if you left a voice mail,I couldn't download a picture message,I hardly ever got my text's and when I did it was an hour late for just plain never got them.It took like a minute just to connect to someone when I try and call them you know how ridiclious that is.And I live less then a mile away from my service tower.I loved that phone but what good is it if its carrier is Sprint and it can't even do the little things.

15. Reefbone macrumors regular

I think user names with "Darth" in them are lame. Now go flash your ROM ;)

16. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Okay...the use of the word "lame" tells me your a 20 something, or younger. Put yourself in an enterprise themed mindset. iPhone in that scenario is far superior to that of Android. Solid Exchange support, easier IT support, and solid battery life. All those are important for getting work done. Professionals [non-IT, like CxO's, etc.] want a device that works. Example: We have one CxO that has a Droid, and another that has an iPhone. The iPhone exec has never called IT once for issues with their phone. The Droid/Android person has been down a number of times for sync issues, and update issues. Most have been the latter, due to changes from the updates, or problems caused by them...

Call me a grandma or old lady, but I'd rather have something that works and is reliable vs. something I can "tinker" with..or "root" to be cool.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah there is no truth to there being 100s of android devices going all the way back to android 1.6 :rolleyes: Also anyone customizing their android phone or rooting it is probably capable of jailbreaking and customizing their iphone.