Curious...will iPhone ever appear on a different carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QuickBen, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuickBen macrumors newbie

Just curious as to what the various opinions may be on whether or not Apple will ever open up the iPhone to other carriers. I can's see myself ever moving to AT&T and I think even though sales are strong, they would be astronomical if not limited to one carrier.

2. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Eventually... being the keyword after Apple & AT&T have gone through their contracts and extracted every bit of $$ they can from people then they'll consider opening it up.

The keyword here is time as in its only a matter of time before they do.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

QuickBen, what carrier are you on now? Just wondering.

I do see more carriers being supported down the road, but I HIGHLY DOUBT there will ever be a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) version of the iPhone. I believe as of now Apple is exclusive with AT&T through 2010, so we won't be seeing anything before then.

4. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

What he said. :)

I used to be with Sprint myself. Their service was dismal. I had heard bad things about AT&T, but that sure didn't stop me from switching over for an iPhone. After all, I figured it'd be hard to be worse than Sprint when it came to customer support!

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Close the thread, there's your answer

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No this is not quite the answer. The OP said "ever", they did not infer a specific time where it could be answered by the above. :rolleyes:

Despite rumors, I am of the school of thought that if the iPhone hits other carriers the last carrier we'll see it hit is Verizon. Verizon has their whole vcast mobile and such, which essentially trumps iTunes in their own quirky way. I doubt Apple will allow vcast and I doubt Verizon will agree to not have their baby on the phone. Therefore, I believe there will be a series of discussions and arguments, but we won't see the iPhone come to Verizon any time soon.

I think T-Mobile is the next best bet.

7. QuickBen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks guys, the 2010 date sounds reasonable to me. BTW, I'm on Verizon and the Verizon/Vcast comment is enlightening. I'll try to keep my hat on for another year or two then see what's shakin'

Thanks again.

BTW--"guys" = that gender-neutral, all-encompassing, all-inclusive, congenial term of endearment (thx Jess)

8. marine610610 macrumors regular

I hate ATT's network, i hate Sprint's cust support... Verizon would be awesome

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would think the contract also holds a minimum sales number, so that if AT&T sells less than some number of iPhones in a year, they lose their exclusive rights.

This does two things, keeps AT&T from pushing phones from other manufacturer's, and allows Apple an out if AT&T decides to treat it as a second tier device.

Seems like the iPhone is doing well either way, so 2010 it is!

It would be interesting to see what happens in 2010. Will they jump to a 4G network? We might be stuck with AT&T long term anyway if the other providers don't step up. Sprint will be lucky to be in business by 2010. Verizon is the only other real alternative.

10. QuickBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I could probably stomach the switch to AT&T if it were just me. As it is, however, I have two accounts and seven lines with Verizon (my elderly parents, my wife's mom, etc). Plus, my sister's family is on Verizon....well, you get the point. AT&T has no towers near my folks place and the reception is zero. I'll try to allow the current 2-year cycle to finish and maybe I'll have more options by then.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

They very well likely WILL make a CDMA phone in the future and likely have already made one. Apple initially approached Verizon with the iPhone and likely wouldn't have done so if they didn't at least have a CDMA prototype in-hand (therefore, not much R&D would go into making a CDMA iPhone). Second, the majority of iPhones are sold within the US. Take away the exclusivity and I really can't see Apple ignoring the largest cellphone carrier in the US (Verizon - who they initially coveted). The more potential customers, the more money Apple will see. Thirdly, it is a huge myth that CDMA is only restricted to certain carriers in the US. Here are the facts:

http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I don't see the iPhone with anyone other than AT&T in the U.S. for at least another 3-5 years. AT&T is loving the money and new customers they are getting from the iPhone and I am sure they will do everything they can in order to extend the contract with Apple that is set to expire in 2010. I could see them possibly extending all the way to 2015 before Apple tests other providers.

13. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Wrong... Here's a little bit of history that everybody seems to forget...Apple didn't have any sort of prototype in hand, that's why a Verizon iPhone doesn't exist. Apple approached Verizon first with an "idea" of a phone that would end all phones. Verizon turned them down...so they took the "idea" to At&t and lo and behold we have us an iPhone on "the nation's fastest 3G network". All you whiners and complainers crying all the time because the iPhone doesn't exist for your perfect little Verizon Wireless. Remember, it was the genius minds at Verizon that kicked Apple to the curb in the first place. So stop complaining about the lack of a Verizon iPhone and stop posting the same thread over and over and over and over and over...

14. jason72780 macrumors regular

Very true. When the iPhone was released, the big wigs at AT&T said they hadn't seen the phone until a few weeks before it was announced at macworld.

15. Shawn D macrumors regular

Verizon = FAIL

AT&T FTW :D

16. MrM macrumors 6502

Personally, I hate Verizon. But (to play devils advocate here...) with the recent rumor of a new iPhone in the works, maybe it's possible that a CDMA version is on the way? Maybe Verizon realized that they made a mistake, came to Apple, and are now planning to launch a Verizon compatible iPhone?

With the new product identification (moved from 1,2 to 2,1) this suggests that it's a completely revamped or improved model, rather than a modest update.

Thoughts?

17. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Why would a CDMA phone be on the way? CDMA is dead technology that is being replaced within 5 years. I personally would love to see a Verizon iPhone. Not because I like Verizon (Verizon is horrible in the Raleigh/Durham area and AT&T has always been phenominal), but because that would force competition upon AT&T and perhaps the fees would drop a little. Nothing says "winter sale" like down-the-street competition. I think one can expect the iPhone on additional carriers, but don't hold your breath for 2010.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple may open up past AT&T after the first few years, but there would have to be a very good reason.

AT&T showed very good growth in iPhones sales, so you bet your bottom dollar they want to hang on to the exclusive "it" product. Verizon is hoping for that with the Storm, T-Mobile with the G1, and Sprint with the Pre.

AT&T has slightly bent over backwards for Apple, upping the speed of the 3G rollout. With the rumor of a 3G-subsidized notebook, I don't see that relationship ending soon.

19. QuickBen thread starter macrumors newbie

With all due respect (and after reading your post, that's not a lot), I just joined this forum the day I posted. I was curious, as others may be, about the possibility of Apple opening things up a little. If you had bothered to read my posts, you would have seen I have little choice but to stay with Verizon. I would ask you why spew your drivel in a thread you obviously disdain? Does it serve any purpose? My question was simple, free of whining and complaining. As my 24-year old son would say, you're a tool.

20. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

That and the fact that AT&T and Apple Inc. are locked into a water tight contract. That is one thing that these Verizon paraders keep forgetting... you will not see a Verizon iPhone for several years. Apple can't back out of a contract with AT&T just because there is the potential for more money with another carrier. If they do back out of the contract to make phones for Verizon, you can count on a HUGE lawsuit ending up in the death of the iPhone because Apple won't be able to afford the production. It's kind of like a "marriage". A marriage is a contract and should the marriage end and the contract is broken, the man (or in this case Apple) owes half of his crap to the woman (AT&T) and then the man winds up paying alimony and child support.

21. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.