Current (2010) Mac Mini (server?) as a HTPC?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cjbryce, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

I'm swithering as to whether I should wait, perhaps just a few days, for the 2011 Mac Mini refresh or just get the current model.

Any advice would be welcome, based on my requirements as follows:

Hardware
    I already have:-

Bluetooth keyboard
    Magic Mouse
    Apple Remote
    USB SuperDrive

So I'm thinking along the lines of:-

Connected to Arcam Movie Solo via TOSLINK and HDMI - Solo connects to my HD TV
    8Mb RAM upgrade (from Crucial not :apple:!)
    500Mb HDD upgrade (I may choose to go for the server version given that it already has faster and larger drives)

Usage
    Always on (or at least sleeps only after > 2 hours of no use)
    Use as media server - iTunes Music, Movies, TV programmes &etc
    Use with Elegato TV USB stick for live Freeview and HDD TV recording as my principal broadcast TV source
    Use with Sky GO (may not be feasible as broadband currently < 3Mbs where I live)
    CD/DVD ripping (for backup purposes only of course;))
    Occasional browsing/YouTube/TV Catchup etc
    Back ups over ethernet-through-the-mains to my Time Capsule
    Effectively replaces an Apple TV

As you can see the usage will almost exclusively be as a HTPC - I have an Air and an iMac for work usage - this will be simply as an entertainment hub.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I use my 2010 Mini as a 1080 HTPC with Plex connected via FireWire 800 to a MiniStack and am still in the process of encoding my DVD collection (HandBrake on my Mac Pro). It works great and thankfully haven't run it any issues in the last year.

I actually use a receiver that has a HDMI switch it it and the movies sound great in 5.1 surround sound. So take the plunge and you will not be disappointed.

3. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Yeah current one, and 2009, is more than enough. 2007 2GHz mocked are ok too (I have one).

I'm considering upgrading but I'm not buying yet. Either the new one comes out soon and gives more power for the same price, or the 2010 ones will drop in price or pop up on the refurb store and I,ll save money.

So IMO not worth buying the 2010 model new now