Current $2499 Mac Pro vs. the coming new model

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wolfpacker, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wolfpacker macrumors newbie

We have a sales tax holiday coming up this weekend here in NC. This is about the only way I know of to save money legally when buying a new Mac here (we are supposed to pay use tax on Internet purchases from places that don't collect sales tax, such as Amazon).

The problem is that the new Mac Pro is not available till Monday, so if I want to buy one, it has to be what is available in the Apple store today.

Has anyone seen any reliable info on what exactly are the differences between the current lowest price, base config Mac Pro ($2499) and the one available to order on Monday? Trying to decide if it is worth the ~$180 tax to wait.

I guess the other part of the equation is whether the current Mac Pro will be available for a cheaper price after Monday (either through Apple or other, as long as I can buy Apple Care), and whether that cheaper price is likely to be lower than the sales tax.

I'm sure I could buy from somewhere that didn't withhold the tax and potentially get away with not claiming it on my taxes, but NC is currently going after Amazon to get this sort of info, and if successful in the courts, they will likely go after other vendors. So it probably isn't worth the risks.

2. you39 macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

Better GPU, CPU +140MHz, HD +360MB... in order of importance ;)

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Most Auth. Apple resellers have been selling the low end MP for $2300 for a while now. I would imagine on Tues, or soon after, that price will get slashed to $1999 or $2100 at the most. $400-500 diff. b/t '09 and '10 model. That more than covers sales tax in most states.

As for '09 vs '10 base model, all depends on your needs/desires. I haven't figure out what I want to do myself. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the '08 2.8 Octo last year when it was being fire-saled at $2300.

4. wolfpacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

So I've pretty much ruled out buying this weekend then. Either I'll wait for the better system or see what prices do on the old one.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I didnt know computers were included in the tax free weekend. Here in Houston Texas, only clothing and school supplies are reflected towards the tax free weekend.

6. wolfpacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Computers up to $3500 are included here. Apparently the iPad qualifies, too, which is nice. The iPod Touch, iPod, and iPhone aren't.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If I recall correctly, if you had or started a business account, they were selling for $1799 give or $100.