Current 3g iPhone with video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiotSauce, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RiotSauce macrumors newbie

I searched around on the forums but couldn't see anything related to this question:

So there is all this talk about the new iPhone specs, stuff like that and video seems to be coming up a lot.

Any thoughts on if the current 3g iPhones will get video? Or is it hardware related? I have a hard time believing it could be hardware seeing as RIM did the same thing with blackberry updates (I believe it was 4.5 that introduced video without any hardware revisions).

I ask because I was quite surprised when I found that the 1st gen wouldn't be getting MMS due to hardware but I would be shocked if apple purposefully did not include room in the hardware for the current iPhones to eventually enable video recording.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, the EDGE and 3G iPhones are capable of taking videos if you jailbreak and download the video app called Cycorder. So, the ability is there with the current hardware.

The question is: would Apple make it a part of the 3.0 firmware, or would they only make it a feature of a future hardware upgrade?

3. aok1975 macrumors 6502

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You my friend, have not been following the forums very well... Let alone the macrumors homepage.

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

i'm not sure, it's still up in the air for me... they said its not supported but they could release a new phone that supports it... *shrugs*

6. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

NO

The camera is not good enough. Yes, you can jailbreak and record video with jailbroken apps, and I've done this many times. The videos are Teeny-Tiny resolution and very poor frame rates.

The new iPhone which will probably have video capabilities will do so via a much better camera. If Apple gives the iPhone video capabilities they will be marketing the hell out of as a selling point, and the crappy cycorder videos (ones made on 3g iphone jailbroken) will not cut it at all.
    They are nowhere near apple's standards and the 3.0 software will not support video recording on the first and second generation iPhones.

7. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I beg to differ. Cycorder takes great video for a phone. This video was taken with cycorder, at night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gO5mY3DYcc

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Apple's reasoning is that the NAND is too slow (I think they said you can only capture 15fps consistently at an ok quality, or something like that). So they'll stick to that excuse and if you want video recording (non-jailbreak) you'll have to buy the next phone which will have better hardware that will support it.