Current 3G user on T-Mobile, switching over to Sprint - expect faster data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Qisma, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Qisma macrumors newbie

Hello! My first posting on this forum. I've been with T-Mobile for a few years and am finally out of contract. I'm so excited to be able to purchase a new iPhone (and an official version since mine is unlocked!). The one big question I've been burning over is data speed - I don't make too many phone calls and mainly use my phone for streaming music, apps, a lot of texting and the occasional GPS navigation.

I chose Sprint because of its unlimited data feature, but I've been reading that it's 3G network is the slowest out of the Big 3. I would've gone with AT&T, as my corporate discount makes the price differential very small, but was afraid the 2 GB cap would be too limiting. However, coming from the EDGE network of T-Mobile (i.e. suuuuper slooooow) I'm wondering if Sprint will be fast or adequate for my needs?

I do have a feeling I would be wow'd no matter which network I chose because I've been living with EDGE for far too long!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Coming from EDGE, Sprints EDVO (3G) network will be really fast.

3. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I've been a Sprint user for many years, recently, within the past 6 months, the data speeds I've experienced with 3G have become painfully slow. To a point of almost jumping ship.

I can only imagine with the new iPhone users joining up, those speeds will decrease even more.

Sprint has incredible customer service and have come a long way, but their network is in very poor shape, I would not expect to be happy with your data speeds.

Eventually yes, but not in the short term.

4. Qisma thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh dear - that is what I am afraid of. I do have 14 days to try out the service and my plan B was that if I didn't like it, I'd try jumping ship over to AT&T and purchase a phone in-store. But now with rumors of the phone being sold out for several weeks into November, maybe that won't pan out. My hope is that Sprint will still be good enough for my needs for now...until the iPhone 5 comes out!

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Well, I wouldn't really want to drive someone away from Sprint, the more customers they have, the more money they'll have to invest.

But be aware, I would expect data issues until things smooth out with all the new iPhone customers.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Do you have the speedtest.net app? If so, see what you get on T-Mobile EDGE. I'm guessing around 400Kb/s download.

On Sprint (or Verizon), you can expect "real world" probably 2x - 5x that speed (around 1Mb/s to 2.5Mb/s) - probably no faster.

On AT&T, depending on area, you can get in the 3Mb/s-5Mb/s range with the iPhone 4, and with the 4S in some areas you could see double that.

In a nutshell, even on Sprint I'd expect significantly better speed than with T-Mobile. Not as good as AT&T, but adequate for most purposes.

7. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Nope... if you use Sprint you'll understand, expect at best 300kbps download speeds on 3G, at times, far less, around 75 or 80.

Their network is stressed. They know this, if you call, they will confirm it with you.

8. Qisma thread starter macrumors newbie

I just downloaded the app you mentioned and ran it out of curiousity. I got a download speed of .18 mbps and an upload rate of .09 mbps. I'm located in Irvine, CA. Is that what has been comparable to Sprint speeds?

I'll definitely run this app again once I receive the new iPhone...

9. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I'm in Kansas City. I have an Evo on Sprint (personal) and with Wimax turned off it gets around 0.75+ Mbps down and 0.40+ Mbps up.

However, speed is going to vary depending on location.

Edit:
    For reference, with Wimax on I get around 3.5+Mbps down and 0.75+ up.