Current 8800 GT and passive cooling?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TennisandMusic, Jan 23, 2009.

1. TennisandMusic

I try to use as much passive cooling in my PC's as possible. My current PC is nearly silent, however I am looking to replace my desktop with a mac pro. I would need the 8800 GT card, but am not looking forward to a lot of noise. Is it possible to mount a passive cooler on this model? Will it fit? I haven't really seen much mention of this anywhere.

2. Ronchande macrumors member

Yes I have replaced the cooler by an Accelero one and it works well. I have installed one of their "Turbo Modules" which is a super silent fan (I have cut away one of the 2 fans as one is enough). Without the fan the 8800GT got a bit too hot when playing games.

Ronald

3. TennisandMusic thread starter Guest

TennisandMusic

Awesome, thank you.

4. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

I hear the stock 8800gt in MPs are pretty quiet too

5. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

I installed a Zalman VF1000 LED cooler on my 8800 GT with no apparent problem, even though I had to move the card from slot 1 to slot 2 to provide adequate clearance for the cooler mounting nuts on the underside of the video card. Unfortunately, I soon found out that 1st generation Mac Pros only have one full speed (16X) slot per machine, as opposed to two slots in the 2008 Mac Pros. Slot 2 is only 8X on my Mac.

I contacted the Zalman folks in L.A. by phone & was told I was the 1st Mac user they'd ever heard from(?) & that they'd send me smaller mounting nuts, allowing me to move the card back to the full-speed slot one. It's been a couple months since I made these mods & the temps have been kept very cool esp. with the addition of smcFanControl (http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html).

6. rastersize macrumors member

I'm using a PC 8800GT with the Accelero and a Noctua 800 rpm fan (capped with the ulna, ultra low noise adapter, so in reality it's at something like 600 rpm) and I can't here it. I'm thinking of replacing all my fans with Noctuas as I think the things sounds a bit to much. Well that's another thread. Oh yea, when gaming according to some Windows temp-app my card doesn't even reach 50 degrees celsius :D
    The rest of the components stay within rather normal levels too :)

7. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I've had my Mac Pro for just less than a day with the 8800GT card and it sounds like the system is turned completely off. It's running that quietly! Awesome!