Current Airport impractical design

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by cube, Jul 15, 2015.

1. cube macrumors Pentium

I would have bought an ac Airport Extreme a long time ago if it were not for its impractical design. I wonder how much sales have been lost to this.

The design is totally rack-unfriendly. I don't care if a rack partly blocks the signal, I have a dual band Extreme working very well in such an environment at its lowest power setting.

Provided it does not perform slower as an Extreme, an Express would be a good alternative if it had a gigabit port, simultaneous dual band ac, and supported hard drives, as I use my old Extreme only as an access point and slow NAS (I will not buy a Capsule, even with a rack-friendly design).

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I found the design to be much more practical as it can be tucked into corners easily and offers much better range with the beamforming antennas.

3. cube thread starter macrumors Pentium

I guess one size does not fit all.

I doubt you are using multiple ethernets in a corner.

And what about all the empty hard drive space in a Extreme?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I figure that to get beam forming the design is the best. I use them tucked away on my network rack so it actually works better than the old design. Granted, there is a lot of wasted space due to the lack of a hard drive.

5. cube thread starter macrumors Pentium

Find a way around it to bring back a flat unit.

6. chabig macrumors 601

I guess you're not going to buy an Airport Extreme.