Current apps and iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AHDuke99, Jun 6, 2011.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

This begs to be asked, and I apologize if it already has, but if I decide to upgrade to iOS5 tonight whenever Apple publishes it, will the current apps work with the new iOS notification system, or will they need new APIs to use it? I obviously can't go without having notifications from third party apps for any extended period on my iPhone. I also realize no one may know till we actually get our hands on a copy of iOS 5.

2. gks macrumors 6502

The notifcations will probably work just fine. But you may run into some apps not actually functioning properly, or even not loading. There may be some crashes introduced due to some API updates. So, you should probably keep that in mind. If you're going to use this as a daily device and not for development you may have some ongoing issues to deal with.

3. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I figured. I would use it as a daily device as I don't have two phones to develop on. I'll wait and see if downgrading back to 4.3 is as painless as it usually is with iOS updates. If it is, I'll update and check things out.

There are some really nice features I hope I can use right out of the box aside from the obvious. I'm sure someone will install it and report back at some point today.