Current AT&T customer with scenario for iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Katin macrumors regular

Here's a scenario for you guys, and please tell me what you think.

I switched carriers from Verizon to AT&T on 3/29/2008. I knew at the time there has been rumors about the new iPhone 3G coming out "maybe" by summer and just get a cheap phone from AT&T til the new iPhone comes out. Now that were only less than a week away, I want to purchase the new iPhone on July 11th but at $299 for (16GB) model. Do you think AT&T will grant me this wish? I'm going to AT&T tomorrow to find out what can I do. My whole intension was to switch for the "rollover minutes" and of course the "new iPhone". Any thoughts?

Thanking you all in advance

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

what does the online upgrade thing tell you

when you log into your account click upgrade devices and see what it says

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Probably not.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Look at the cheap phone you bought. Did you pay the promotional price for new customers? If you did then you aren't upgrade eligible. There's a certain period of time (not sure what it is but it's at least a year I believe) you have to keep that phone or upgrade without taking advantage of discounted prices before you'll be able to get the promotional price again.

I bought my 2125 sometime last year and I won't be eligible for an upgrade until September, so I'll be paying full price for the 16GB model.

5. Katin thread starter macrumors regular

We'll see, what I can do tomorrow. My dad is thinking about coming to AT&T and buying the iPhone. Soo.... maybe we can come up with a deal (besides the Referral thing) :) I'll let everyone know tomorrow.

P.S. AT&T made this stupid decision. Apple was the ones who said they're cutting the price in half. It's right on the HOMEPAGE of apple.com. This would be false advertising, I would think anyway.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

This is why a lot of people believe Apple will be selling them at the 199/299 price no matter what your situation is. AT&T, being the one not advertising the strict 199/299 price, can sell it however they want.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sorry dear, but, as has been discussed numerous times, cheap for you isn't cheap for AT&T. If you got a "cheap" phone to hold you over that probably means you got a subsidy and owe AT&T for that (through your monthly service fees).

May not like it, but that's how it works.

8. jmadlena Guest

I am in a similar situation. I went into the AT&T store and asked to check my eligibility. They determine upgrade eligibility with two things:

1. Account is in good standing
    2. You have been in your contract for at least 20 months

So, you wouldn't be able to get the upgrade price until 20 months after your signing date (12/29/2009 I think). At least that is what the rep told me.

I have to wait until the 26th until I can get the upgrade price. Luckily it is only that long.

9. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

ATT isn't gonna cut you any deals. They really don't care if you have to pay full price for any phone.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I want to purchase it for $19.99.
    Do you think they'll let me?

11. Type121 macrumors regular

People can believe that if they want, but it ain't happening.

12. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

Even though we have not heard much on what the Apple store is doing I don't think you will be able to just walk in and buy the phone at 199/299. They are probably getting ready to sell them and setup phone contracts just like any reseller of cell service. If you look on Apples iPhone site it has an * next to the low pricing and at the bottom it says "Requires new two-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately to qualified customers."

13. mcnieman macrumors member

You're pretty much out of luck, you'll have to pay the $399/$499 pricing.

The only exception to someone recently getting a cheap phone and being able to get $199/$299 pricing would be if they were still within their 30 day trial and could swap the phones out.

14. Katin thread starter macrumors regular

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816