Current AT&T customer with unlimited data - best way to upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by octomac, Sep 11, 2014.

1. octomac macrumors newbie

Thinking of upgrading to a 6+/128 and 6/64.

AT&T offers these phones for 749 and 549 if I sign a new 2 year contract (assuming that I keep my current plan).

My costs would look something like this (749 + 549 + 120tax + 80 activation fees for a total of $1498. I have 5s/64 and my wife has a 5c/32. I think we could sell/trade in these for $500 which would get our cost down to $998

We currently pay $167 a month (taxes included) for 1400 minutes, unlimited data and text. We have corporate discount (hard to determine exactly how much but I think 17%).

If we go to a next 12 plan I think we would have to switch to shared plan (10gb) which according to ATT would lower our current bill about $40 a month (a little more with our corporate rate). So now we are $130 a month + the next payments (47.45 + 37.45) for a total of about $214 a month. I am assuming that i could pay off the phones earlier.

I like the idea of not having to come up with $1000 out of pocket and lowering my phone bill (lower after I pay off my next payments). The downside is that I lose my unlimited data (currently using ~9gb a month combined).

Anyone else in the same situation?

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I was told by an AT&T rep that I can keep my unlimited if I upgrade using Next. Has that changed now?

3. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

You will be fine... Next is mearly a leasing program for your device... it's detached from your plan.

4. dmo580 macrumors member

While your post makes absolute sense, anyone care to clarify? I haven't' heard of ANYONE switching to Next with unlimited. So what do you pay then? Assuming single line plan, it would be $39.99 + $30 data + $20 text + Phone price / 24 months?

I've never heard of that plan, which is why I'm curious.

5. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

I had the unlimited plan forever. We recently switched my husband and dad to ATT and they went with Next. We had to switch to the 10GB Data plan. The total for all of us including the fees and taxes and their phones is about $200. DH has a 5s, DD has a 4s. I had a paid for 2 yr contract 5.

6. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Have to switch to a "shared" plan. They do this because you get a discount on your data plan because they are not subsidizing the phone over financing it.

7. bobaman macrumors newbie

upgrade cost

I am also with AT&T looking to upgrade. Like you, it is going to cost me $749 for one of the phones. Do you know why they want 749 for the second phone instead of 499? (An extra 250 for the second phone on my 2 year contract).

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Nope. I check 3 different times this week -- added Next, kept my unlimited.

9. rodalpho macrumors member

rodalpho

I kept my grandfathered AT&T plan with a standard 2 year subsidized non-Next contract. Preordered on AT&T's site last night, no problems. Trick was to deselect the default checked Next in checkout.