Current AT&T User, Not Eligible for Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UpperNinety08, Aug 31, 2008.

1. UpperNinety08 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm currently an AT&T user and I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade to get an iPhone for the subsidized price of $200. I desperately need a new phone however as the phone I upgraded to uses an awful operating system with constant glitches and issues galore.

So here's the thing, my mom is currently eligible for an upgrade, but she never uses them. However, if I used her upgrade, she wouldn't want to use my current phone (by swapping lines). So I was was wondering whether one of these two solutions would work.

Solution A)

She upgrades to the iPhone. Then, takes her old phone and puts that back on the line. Then I take the iPhone and put it on my line.

Solution 2 (This works on other carriers for other phones, but I'm not sure about AT&T)

She upgrades to the iPhone. The next day, we swap the phones on the lines by calling AT&T. She then replaces my old phone with her phone.

Any suggestions? I'm going to college in a month and would really like to have a different phone than what I have right now, so this is my current plan.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

My friends (a couple) did option B (or 2, I guess, since you switched labels. :p). She wanted the iPhone 3G and wasn't eligible, and he couldn't care less about phones but was eligible for the upgrade. So he upgraded to the 3G and switched phones with her.

The only problem they had was that the plans weren't switched as they should have been, but they eventually got it straightened out. Go for it.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

The problem is that if she upgrades to an iPhone, she agrees to 2 more years with the specific iPhone plan that requires the $30 data plan. I don't think they will simply allow you to move that plan to your line because she still has to have that plan to make up for the iPhone discount, don't see how they can keep track of it. But possibly being a family plan. wouldn't hurt to just call and ask what could be done.

Though, trading numbers seems fine. Where you continue to use the new iPhone with her sim card. And while she has to use your sim card for your line, it might be as easy as putting it into her old phone if she doesn't like the one you have.

4. Ironman11 macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone 3G by using your solution A. Just be up front about it to the ATT rep, say that your mom is on your family plan, she's upgrade eligible, and you aren't. They'll be able to do everything you need in the store for you to walk out with an iPhone with your number and your mom to walk out with her old phone with her number.

5. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

This. A friend of mine did this with his partner. The key to making this as easy as possible is to buy the iPhone at an AT&T store and bring the other phone along.

You can also just upgrade her line at an Apple store and go to an AT&T store and do a line swap. There is no problem so long as the iPhone has an iPhone plan attached to it. Even if you upgraded to an iPhone but for whatever reason wanted to swap your SIM card into your old phone, AT&T would not give you grief about dropping the iPhone plan if you explain the situation to them.

6. siufai macrumors member

If you are on a Family Plan, you should be able to upgrade it with her contract. I wasnt eligible until Nov of this year, but my mom's was. So we went to the store and renewed her contract for the iPhone, but registered to my number instead of her's. But I believe you can only do this if you are on a Family Talk plan

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sounds like you already have an iPhone. :D

I kid, I kid.

8. l Shad0w l macrumors newbie

I was actually in the same boat you are 2 weeks ago. I did not have a upgrade but had a friend who did. So i went to att and did a DF using my friends upgrade. When the phone came in to avoid having my friends old sim card being deactivated while activating the iphone, i told the att employee this bs story about how my "mom" had to go on an emergency business trip and needs her phone to work until she gets back. So the att employee then half activated the phone (something like what happened to iphone buyers on the release date). When i got home i just put my sim in the iphone called up att, had my friend tell them she didn't have the iphone anymore so she would like to remove the iphone data plan. After she gave them the imei number of her samsung flip they removed the plan with no problems. I now have a iphone with no date plan, made sure i turned off 3g and took off the pay per use data option off my phone. So now when i try to access the internet, weather or whatever it just fails, and under settings in usage i have 0 sent and 0 received bytes. Might just add the media max plan for $15 and use that :). So long story short your solution A should work just fine lol.