Current At&t User. Question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jordanonmyfeet, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Jordanonmyfeet macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm am a current at&t user in a non-iPhone contract. I want to switch to a iPhone but my contract doesn't end until summer. Can i buy an iPhone now and continue my current contract on my family plan??? i would just keep the talk plan cancel my text add the $20/Month and i'm good right? I'm located in the US by the way.

thanks all

2. rayward macrumors 68000

Almost correct. Just buy your iPhone and when you set it up it'll ask if you're an existing AT&T customer. All that happens is that your contract gets renewed for two years, and they add the $20 data plan charge. You have to keep your text plan though, as this is not part of the data package.

3. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Tha data package does have 200 text.

4. Jordanonmyfeet thread starter macrumors newbie

if i choose not to buy the data plan can i keep my current text plan?

5. cdavi060 macrumors regular

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm going through a similar thing right now, so I peppered the Apple Store employees with questions and here's what I discovered:

Yes, this is a must, however:
    This really depends on what kind of texting plan you have. For example, the way the employee I talked to made it sound, family-wide plans (ie the whole family shares 200 texts/month or something) would keep the shared texts and the iPhone would have its own pool of 200 texts (and yes, this is included in the $20 addition).

If you're on a single-user plan, it depends on what kind of text plan you have right now.

For example, if you've purchased a bundle of 500 texts for an extra $10 (or whatever it is-I don't text so I don't know exactly) that will remain on the plan (so your bill would look like: base rate plan + texting addition + iPhone rate plan).

At least that's what I could understand from what the Apple Store employee told me. I would double check by calling ATT. :)

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Question: The iPhone plan includes free in-network text messaging, correct?

8. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I don't think so, but if it does that is great!

9. Darthzilla macrumors member

I have a question as well.

my current ATT plan is 79.99, when I get an iPhone I dont want to pay the extra 20 for a data plan ( I'll be at 100 bucks, probbaly 120 with fees and charges ) ...but theres an iPhone plan that would keep me at my current 79.99 bucks so can i just sign up for that and not add the extra 20 a month ?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Nope. 200 texts are to anyone, whether ATT or not.
    If there are parts of your current plan that you like, you might consider keeping it and adding the data plan. If, however, the $79.99 iPhone plan works for you, just wait until you can "upgrade" your plan (it's usually after 22 months out of a 2-year contract, but the iPhone plans might be special). I'd call ATT and tell them you want to upgrade. I'm sure if you're buying an iPhone they'll be more than happy to accommodate you.