Current AT&T user. Will I just be able to buy the Iphone!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antpod, Jun 26, 2007.

1. antpod macrumors member

antpod

Will I just be able to purchase the phone and pop in my sim card since I'm already a subscriber? I own a RAZR right now but my friend is willing to buy it off me. I don't have to pay an extra fee do I just because I'm getting a different phone, right? I mean I already am a AT&T customer. And if I do how much?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You will have no extra fees other than the $20 more for data. You can't use your existing SIM card. The iPhone comes with a pre-installed SIM card.

3. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Ahh ok thanks! :D

I was told there was a $160 (or $175, I forget) termination fee to cancel my current phone to get this. I thought that was ridiculous though and my friend re assured me that it wasn't true. What was that termination fee about?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

$175 is the iPhone termination fee.

AT&T specifically states that any customer can switch to the iPhone regardless of eligibility of upgrade or what have you without incurring any fees.

5. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Hold on... So even though I'm in the 2 year contract with my RAZR I can go ahead and get the Iphone with no fee except for the initial 20 dollar Iphone activation fee? :confused:

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Janey is exactly right. All termination fees are being waived for the iPhone assuming the 2 year contract overwrites your existing one and restarts you back to 2 years left.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

from http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

The $20 iPhone fee is added on top of your current monthy rate to cover unlimited web/mail and 200 SMS messages. Other than that, you can absolutely upgrade to an iPhone without penalty.

9. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

So that 20 dollars pays for a month of those features on top of my plan I have now?

Btw, thanks everyone, really appreciate all the quick and accurate answers this late. :)

10. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yes.

11. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Wow! That actually sounds really good lol which is strange from a phone company plan.... So after that month no more extra features unless I change my plan to one that supports them...? Correct? I think that might settle on my worries.

12. brandon6684 Guest

Your current voice plan stays the same, it just adds on an extra $20 voice plan on top of that, which replaces any existing data plan.

13. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Well actually the iPhone requires a plan that has the $20 data. Therefore you need to keep the $20 on your plan every month to keep using your iPhone.

14. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Oh, for real?.. Ah well, what would be the cheapest for a family plan but just for my plan(like there are 5 people on the family plan for me but I'm the only one getting the Iphone, so I'll be the only one who needs the extra plan)

15. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I assume you pay $9.99 now (for your line)? It would be $29.99 for your line w/ an iPhone + the other 4 line's costs.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

the $20 data plan is only added to your particular line and nobody else. it's the only one you can get for your situation.

17. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Ohhh ok. So what does this plan include?

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

19. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

20. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

On the link Janey sent, make sure to hit "Existing Customers" and look at the cheapest plan. (the $20 one)

Anyhow, you get:

Unlimited Email/Web on AT&T's EDGE
    Visual Voicemail
    200 SMS (or text messages)

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

It's similar to most of them. T-Mobile offers $20 unlimited data with any voice plan for the Sidekick, so this would be the same as that.

22. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Hmmm ok thanks once again.

It's pretty much perfeect me. The only thing is I use Gmail... Since Google is a pretty much major player with the Iphone do you think they will change it up to be able to use with the Iphone email application?

23. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Sorry, but what exactly are you asking? How does it compare to unlimited data plans on other carriers or how does it compare to the data plans for AT&T's other smartphones.. or what? Sorry, it's late and I'm not reading all that clearly.

24. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Apple said in the iPhone introduction video them program does indeed work with Gmail. I guess you're set then, right? :)

25. antpod thread starter macrumors member

antpod

Wha, for real? Do you happen to have a link to the video?