Current Battery Capicity is 96% on my MacBook Pro. Is that good or bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OceanFrog, Oct 20, 2010.

1. OceanFrog macrumors regular

I have MacBook Pro about 17 months old (bought new Summer 2008). According to Coconut Battery, my current battery capacity is 96% after 185 cycles (see below). This was taken just after I re-calibrated the battery last night.

[​IMG]

I usually work the laptop from the battery ... I rarely leave the laptop plugged in unless charging, and when fully charged I always unplug and run the battery down before plugging in again.

So, is 96% battery capacity good or bad for a 17 month old MacBook with 185 charge cycles? Is the way I'm charging ok, or is it better to have the MacBook plugged in continuously and have less charge cycles (would this give me a better battery health %)?

All comments / feedback welcome.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I don't know, but I have 92% on my three month old mac so it's doing far better than mine.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Only 185 cycles after 17 months? That doesn't seem to be much use of your battery. I have a late 2008 unibody and have 559 cycles and 92%. Have you read the Apple page on battery use? It may not be stimulating reading but it contains good information.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I don't know how accurate these readings are but my 3 month old MBP is already at 92%

6. godaz macrumors regular

Calibrate the battery and see what results you get...

7. speedfreak007 macrumors member

24 months old unibody macbook, after 357 cycles still 96 percent.

you can save the current battery health in coconut battery so you can see your past results. Mine switched from 97 to 100 a couple of times.

8. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a link to the Apple page on battery use please?

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I'm due for a calibration but my previous calibrations yielded lower battery health, I won't put much stock into it:eek:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ I posted a link to in my first post.
    Calibration doesn't lower your battery's health. It makes your readings more accurate. Read the link in post #2.

11. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Go to apple.com and use the search option at the top right of the page.

12. ender21 macrumors 6502

Great FAQ, GGJ. Thanks for that!

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

These battery programs are great but they come at a signficant cost - people naturally get neurotic about the reports. 96% is not worth spending even a millisecond worrying about. Don't worry about your battery unless something seems really wrong. Use it up; it's a consumable item, and newer ones take a while to consume.