Current Concern: Buy Mac In US, Use In Europe?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by visvaldis, Apr 15, 2012.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

In several months I plan to relocate to Germany. From an earlier period spent in Germany I know that computers cost less in the US. What I would like to do is buy a Mac laptop or desktop in America and ship it with me.
    I wonder if anyone has experience with a similar situation.
    The problem is Germany's 220 voltage. Are some Macs equipped with a voltage selector? Would a transformer be sufficient? If I take the Mac from Germany to other West European nations would that cause unique problems in each one?
    I'd appreciate all advice. Thanks.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

It is not only the voltage that is different, the frequency differs as well.

Just check the Electrical and Operating Requirements. It probably says 100-240V AC and 50Hz to 60Hz, making it fine. It would be wise to get a local cable rather than just an adapter for the connector.

If something requires a transformer, don't bother.

Additionally, if you are importing a computer from the states it might be subject to local taxes and custom fees.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can ignore the above post. Your MacBook and its adapter will function perfectly fine!

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

This is correct. The MagSafe power adapter is compatible with the voltage/frequency in every country I can think of. You can even buy the correct plug end/adapter to slide onto it in place fo the US-outlet forks.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Virtually every computer sold in the world will work pretty much anywhere as long as you get the right plug. Goodness even back in the 1990s I could take a laptop to Spain and borrow a connector from the locals and the laptop worked fine.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

You should be fine as long as you get the right plug head/adapter for germany. And from my experience within europe germany is one of the cheaper places to buy macs from.