Current Events: An Early Childhood Perspective

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RonPrice, Aug 26, 2007.

1. RonPrice macrumors newbie

RonPrice

ARRIVING JUST IN TIME:cool:

In publishing his best seller, Common Sense Book of Baby & Child Care,1946, Benjamin Spock eased the anxiety of mothers eager to provide a proper, an informed, the latest-word on upbringing for their children. I was two when this book was published and, while not a baby-boomer in the strict sense of the word--not born during the postwar "baby boom”--my mother was certainly influenced by Spock’s ideas as were generations after WW2. The book sold 50 million copies and, after the Bible, was the biggest selling book in the USA. A westernizing world needed a more flexible, trusting and individual approach to child-rearing and life—and the growing Baha’i community with its continuous need for pioneers who would leave their homes for strange and exotic lands and who would be required to work in and with immensely heterogeneous groups—needed this type of person as well. Spock came along just in time—or so I like to think.

I am writing this prose-poem, not so much about Dr. Spock, but about my mother’s child-rearing practice, influenced as it was by this influential paediatrician and my early childhood, pre-school, experience. Before Spock, John B. Watson, a no-nonsense, no kissing, no hugging, no-sit-on-lap type of child-rearing chap and his child-rearing philosophy held sway. Spock put some feeling and flexibility back into the process of child-rearing. Just before I left the classroom as a full-time teacher in 1999 and with a crucial stage in the parenting role also about to end with one year to go before my last child graduated from university, Dr. Spock died. He was 94. He had been around all my life: as a child, an adolescent, an adult, a parent and a teacher. He seemed to deserve a place in my prose-poetry. –Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 11 June 2007.

I really don’t know what you read(1)
    when I was two or three or four
    while Spock was reversing the pattern,
    standard and style of child-rearing
    from its old lock-step, no-nonsense,
    let them cry approach. His was an
    individually tailored, trust-yourself
    flexibility for the new age--approach.

But whatever you read and whatever
    you tried, it was tough work for you,
    a mother at 40, a little late to say the
    least, especially back then, way back
    then as that first Plan(1937-1944) was
    ending, God Passes By was finally at
    the Baha’i book stores(2) and that band
    of apostolic founders was completing
    one of the noblest episodes in the history
    of the first Baha’i century—the triumph
    of the first stage in ‘Abdu’l-Baha’s Plan.(3)

1 My mother in the years 1946 to 1948, when I was two to four years old.
    2 This book was Shoghi Effendi’s gift to the Baha’i world in August 1944. I was 4 weeks old and my mother nearly died in those first weeks of my life.
    3 Shoghi Effendi, Messages to America, Wilmette, 1947, p. 71.

Ron Price
    11 June 2007
    (updated for: Mac Forums)
    26/8/07

2. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

RonPrice, priceless... never hurts to honour thy mother and father. you get my 'niceness!' vote of the day. i have the good fortune of having two sets of parents, adopted i am, and my online moniker is a testament to my 1st mother, god bless her 16 year old fortitude for bringing me to term. and i am neither a pro-lifer nor a bible thumper by any means.

3. RonPrice thread starter macrumors newbie

RonPrice

Thanking you...jcz...

With appreciation for your generous sentiments-Ron Price, Australia:)

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Are you a Bahai too?
    :):)

Well here is another one! And we have one other member named Ish, he's a Bahai too! Only 6 more people and we could start our own LSA:D

5. RonPrice thread starter macrumors newbie

RonPrice

After More than 7 Years

It's time for a belated thanks.-Ron

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi