Current gen Apple ssd vs. Runcore

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FearlessPinata, Sep 8, 2010.

1. FearlessPinata macrumors newbie

This post is mainly for Scottsdale but if others are knowledgable (actually own the hardware) or can contribute I'd welcome input. I've seen some posts concerning the runcore ssd upgrade and have heard that the performance is decent (to put it lightly). I've also heard that Apple has issued various patches dealing with ssd drivers which have increased their speed. How would a runcore fair against a current gen Apple ssd? Is the performance gain worth the $447 pricetag? I'm wondering if any more data has become available since the last posts I read

Thanks for your input!

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Apple made huge progress just with its driver updates to the OS. In addition, the new MBAs are sold with Toshiba SSDs that supposedly are double the speed of the Samsung SSDs found in all v 2,1 MBAs since October 2008 and up to a few months ago.

I have not personally seen the new Toshiba SSDs in action, but I would assume they're comparable to the Runcore SSDs. In addition, even the Samsung SSDs are so much faster than they originally were that it makes upgrading to the Runcore SSD far less of a gain.

Without some hard numbers, I would think the Runcore SSD still outperforms the others... but I would love to see some hard numbers on an otherwise exactly same MBA system... Samsung, Toshiba, or Runcore??? Who wins with the latest drivers, OS X, and etc???