iPad mini Current Gen iPad Mini, but in iPad Mini 2 casing? w/photos

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Xeyad, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Xeyad, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

Xeyad macrumors 6502

So today I bought an iPad Mini. Before all the comments come in, yes, I know a new one is coming out in a few days. However, I've noticed something quite interesting about my iPad Mini.

As many of you may know, according to the case leaks, the iPad Mini 2 will have the Apple logo embedded to the casing, unlike the current gen iPad Mini which is printed to the casing. Weirdly, the white iPad Mini I got today clearly has the Apple logo embedded. So it seems Apple has already changed the casing to the current gen iPad Mini.

I already have a year old iPad Mini in the household, and I've compared it to my new iPad Mini. The Apple logo feels much different, and I've noticed that it does get a bit dirty around the edges. The other thing I've noticed is the iPad logo down below, where it was shiny and reflective, now it's just printed in black without any reflection.

I prefer the older version, because it was completely flush with the casing. Now there is a slight edge between the Apple logo and the casing.

Overall, I think this could mean that Apple is planning to keep the current gen iPad Mini, but maybe at a lower cost, because why suddenly change the casing if they're replacing it with a new generation? I don't think so. The iPad Mini 2 will probably come with the same casing, but hopefully with a Retina Display and surely at a higher cost.

Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DerfBWH macrumors regular

The current gen doesn't have the Apple logo printed on the bezel, it's always been embedded. So says my launch day Black/Slate iPad mini, anyways.

3. Xeyad thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a launch day iPad Mini (Black/Slate) in the household too. Trust me, this one is different. The Apple logo feels like a separate part from the casing, unlike the original. Plus, the iPad logo is in printed in black (even on my new White/Silver model) and it's not reflective.

4. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah they're probably gonna keep offering the current gen iPad mini for $250 or $275 while offering the retina/A7 for $330 still.

Very interesting to see that the actual casing has already been implemented into the current gen. mini. And to see that it's apparently worse as well :eek:

5. Xeyad thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not particularly worse, but it catches way more dirt now.

I believe they'll keep the current Mini for $299, and then introduce iPad Mini w/Retina Display for $399.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think the old mini is good as gone. A lot of people buy the cheapest iPad possible. That would destroy iPad mini 2 sales numbers.

7. Xeyad thread starter macrumors 6502

well, I think it's going to be damn hard for Apple to have a Retina iPad Mini, and keep the price at $329. Apple was already taking a hit on their profit margins with the current iPad Mini when it was first introduced. After a year now, I could see the current Mini dropping in price at $299 to have an entry level to the market to battle the likes of Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. I think even at $399, Apple would have less profit margins with the iPad Mini Retina, because components already cost a lot.

As for people buying the cheapest iPad possible, I don't think that's the case. People don't buy the older iPhones, or older gen iPods. Most people want what's new, as even Apple is suffering somewhat with the iPhone 5c because most people see it a year old iPhone. The same happened with the iPad when Apple introduced the iPad 3 and left iPad 2 at $399; it never killed iPad 3 sales.

The new casing I got with my iPad Mini is proof that the current Mini is staying in the lineup.

8. wassup121 macrumors member

Respectfully, i disagree. I think people are in fact buying older models. Ie Iphone 4S, Ipad 2, and all the Refurbs that Apple posts online and get sold out seemingly fast.

I did however sell my iPad mini in preparation for an iPad Mini 2

EDITED: I read your post incorrectly. I do agree on most parts...ipad Mini Gen 1 is here to stay. Probably lower price to $259. Keep iPad Mini 2 $329. Get rid of iPad 2. iPad 3-4 should be the new old generations, sell at discount models