Current gen macbook pro ok to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by II AndyG33 II, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

    II AndyG33 II

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois
    #1
    Everybody keeps complaining about all this bs about the 8600 card
    but how many ppl have ok gpu's
    im thinking about saying screw waiting and just get my mbp tomorrow or saturday
    i like the current design
    i have the money
    im tired of waiting

    but the only little thing is the stupid gpu
    i figure ill have apple care for 3 years so if anything does go wrong
    ill be able to get it fixed

    im confused...
     
  2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

    TuffLuffJimmy

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #3
    The GPU's are supposed to start failing in about 1 or two years, depending on how much they're used. It'd really bite to have the graphics card fail a month after your warranty expires. In my opinion it would not be a smart idea to buy a current generation Macbook Pro, especially since there are so many rumors about a design change.
     
  3. 204467 macrumors 6502a

    204467

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #4
    He said he would have Apple Care, which is 3 years by itself; he could get almost four if he buys it near the end of the limited warranty. That should cover any problems that appear in the first 1 or 2 years. Plus, the OP stated that he/she likes the current design, so buying it now seems like a good idea. Once again, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, it just seems like you're telling the OP to go against his/her gut instincts. I think the OP should just do what they wanted to do originally.
     
  4. Abhorred macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #5
    Not quite so. AppleCare adds two years to the one year manufacturer's warranty, regardless of when you buy it. So, even if you bought and activated it one the last day of your first year's warranty, it'd still only add two years from the date your initial warranty expired.
     
  5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

    TuffLuffJimmy

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #6
    Why do people think that's how AppleCare works? It's three years after the day you buy the notebook, not three years after you buy AppleCare.
     
  6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #7
    Because they can't believe they are paying $349 for a 2 year extension with no accidental damage coverage. Not the best deal around but almost a necessity if you aren't very careful with your MBP.

    Cheers,
     
  7. e12a macrumors 68000

    e12a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    #8
    easy.

    buy it on ebay or through your university bookstore.
     
  8. isauce macrumors regular

    isauce

    Joined:
    May 21, 2008
    #9
    You can buy it now to take advantage of the iPod deal, however do not open it. Wait up to 14 days from your purchase date, and see if the revision comes out then you can decide whether you want to return it for the new, or keep your purchase. Hope that helps.
     
  9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    I own a current gen Macbook pro, 2.5 penryn. You have my stamp of approval to buy it :)

    Awesome machine, lightening fast, and takes everything I can throw at it.

    Advantages of buying the current gen, in my opinion, great keyboard, timeless design. After going through several generations, this is the most highly optimized, finely tuned MBP.

    Not sure about all the "Prophets of Doom" who talk about the GPU issue as if it's the end of days. Seems to me its mostly the 2.2 ghz version MBP that has the problem.

    However, get the Apple care, I know I'm definitely getting it. If logic board or gpu fails after 3 years, Apple will take care of you and give you a new MBP :D Can't complain about that. In any case, after three years I would want to upgrade anyways.

    just my 2 cents :cool:
     
  10. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #11
    Not quite "after". More like "Within" :D
     
  11. II AndyG33 II thread starter macrumors regular

    II AndyG33 II

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois
    #12
    i decided to wait
    i figure i waited all this time
    i just gotta put up w/ it and wait a lil bit longer
    if i end up not liking the new model

    ill buy the current gen from the refurb store
    that way ill prolly be able to afford the 2.5 w/ the 512 card
    meaning ill also have the 6mb of l2 cache
    which i prolly dont need
    but w/e
     
  12. LeoFio macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #13
    Usually there is a delay between "new product announcement" and "new product availability", unless supplies of the older design run out before the the announcement. If you don't like the new one when it is announced, run out and buy the current MBP!

    (It may be your last chance to get your hands on the best keyboard out there;))
     
  13. II AndyG33 II thread starter macrumors regular

    II AndyG33 II

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    Illinois
    #14
    i know what u mean
    and what are the chances of apple releasing the new mbp
    and then there be a delay on when they are available???
    I'm new to apple and haven't been around long enough to know
     
  14. MajereXYU macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    #15
    I agree that it would be best to wait, with the rumored new models just around the corner.

    If you waited this long already, wouldn't it be damning to have the new models come out with non-defective video cards, better specs and new functionality all at the current price?

    You would regret it. I just sold my Macbook in anticipation of the new models and I know I am going without my laptop for a few days/weeks because it should totaly be worth it.

    If september comes and no new models are announced, I'll buy the current gen Macbook (non-pro), which is good enough anyway.
     
  15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
  16. johnsy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    #17
    Do you need one? Then buy.
    Do you want one? Don't buy.


    Feel myself like Cramer. :)

    The biggest issue buying now and AFTER new models shows up is price. On average you would get a few hundred dollar better deal after new models shows up. This time it can be a historical date- you might get a price reduction! MBP might start not at $2 K, but at $1.6 K. Either way you most likely will get more ram, more processor, more hard drive space and a better video card. So this is the biggest thing to consider. Older models still will be on sale even after new models will show up. In fact if you will decide to go with older model you might have price savings too. The only option you will lose for older models will be customization. You will have to buy standard model from amazon, macmall or refurbished from apple store.

    I want an apple laptop myself. Current models doesn't suit me very well so far, unless better priced.
     
  17. Macmel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #18
    I don't know what's what you're thinking. Really, would you buy a car that you know it's going to fail just because it's very likely it will fail during the guarantee period?. Exactly.
    Just wait. I don't know if there's going to be a redesign, but I can tell you one thing: next rev MBP won't have a defective GPU (at least not this one). It's obvious that a computer can be defective with so many complex parts and so on, that's always a lottery, but buying one with a known defect, man, that's plain stupid.
    I have the penryn version and I am absolutely sure it's gonna fail eventually. So far, runs like a charm, but there have been reports of penryn MBPs failing already. The only reason we see more of the 2.2GHz previous version failing is because they are older. The 8600 GPUs have being in use with Apple for slightly more than one year, and the early computers are the ones failing first. We'll see in a few months.
    Should I have known of this, I would have never bought a MBP. My only hope is that it fails within the guarantee period and by that time Apple has already new motherboards with non-defective GPUs to exchange mine. And of course, I'm getting Applecare by the end of the year.
     
  18. hohohong macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #19
    Can you get the current MBP and get iPOD deal and,....

    You the the currently MBP and iPOD deal say on 14th Sept.

    If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to submit the cut out of MBP box now for online rebate submission. So, you get ur iPOD $$ on 24th Sept (I heard online rebate is fairly fast).

    You leave ur MBP unopen and wait. Let's say MBP is replaced but QuadCore on 26th Sept,.... can you:

    Exchange your unopened MBP to the QuadCore MBP and still keep your iPOD for free?
     

Share This Page