Current generation white Macbook vs last gen Macbook pro..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anonymouslives, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

So with the new Nvidia 9400 chipset, if you had the choice of current white Macbook, or last Gen Macbook pro 2.4/2GB/256 8600gt which would you choose?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

3. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

That's too bad, because I'm seriously trying to talk myself into the new white Macbook. I have a 23" Cinema display, so screen size is not an issue. Obviously I'd like to not throw money away if not necessary. The Old MBP 2.4 is refurb on the apple website for $1,349 and the 2.5 with 512 8600gt is $1,499. The Nvidia chipset is better than the standard chipset on the MBP model (last gen) but I dunno. I want to be able to use CS4, and do some video editing stuff, but I'm not sure. I'm also considering the new MBP models as well. I've had two already (used) 2.8 and 2.53 and didn;t like the greasy black key stains or the glossy screens. I don't know what to buy, and I always feel like I should be buying something else every time I have something. Even when I had the 2.8 and it was the highest model, I still wanted something else (thus the reason I sold it). I feel like I'm in this perpetual thing of never being content with my computer set-up.

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Um yeah I'd go Pro hands down. Its not even a question really. At a similar price you might as well get the better computer. If you want to use CS4, especially multiple programs at once, the MBP is going to handle that much better. You get a better everything with that computer.

The NVidia chipset on the macbook??? It may be a better chip but its not dedicated graphics like you'll get out of the old MBP.

I agree with you, I don't like the new MBP. Not the glossy screen, not the black keys. I have a SR MBP (2 revs old) and I love it. Its a great machine I use CS3 on a daily basis along with some other powerful programs and this computer handles them well. You'll end up disappointed in the limits of power the Macbook has. Get the Pro, I wouldn't think twice.

5. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

does yours have 256 or 512 of dedicated memory?

6. dentedG4 macrumors member

The integrated chipset is a definite step up from the integrated graphics on the last rev whitebook, but the 8600 in the MBP is at least twice as fast in benchmarks than the 9400 integrated. I would go for the refurb MBP over the whitebook every time.

If the question is the UMB 2.4 or the refurb MBP than that would pose a little more of a problem

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Just out of interest how much closer is the UMB 2.4 to the last gen MBP?

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Still not close.

I would choose the MBP, no brainer.

Bigger screen
    better screen
    dedicated graphics
    firewire :D

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

That's wrong if you mean the chipset from the new macbooks (not pro). It's certainly better than intels integrated one from the previous black/white mbs, but still can't match any quite recent dedicated graphics card.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

11. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

It seems everyone is in favor of the MBP, however..I'd like to see some objective information. Not sure where to look.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Well I ended up buying a refurb 2.4 MBP with 9400/9600GT setup for 1699. I could have gotten by with the new White MB with just a 9400 at 799 from Microcenter but I was after a discreet video card as I like to game.

It comes down to, what do you plan to do with it. Any "real" gaming basically requires the discreet card, either 8600 or the 9600. The 9400 integrated will do WOW at native resolutions but pushing beyond the 1280x800 requires more oomph. Both take 4gb ram which helps a lot regardless of video.

So,

1. What do you want to use it for.
    2. How long do you plan to keep it.
    3. How much money do you have free.

I no longer purchase items I don't have the cash for. This does not mean I don't use credit; I did get the Juniper card because its a free loan and I can just autopay it from my funds.

My own answers
    1. Gaming on big screen so I went with discreet video, 256 of discreet works just fine in the majority of games I want. (WOW and upcoming D3)

2. At least two years, possibly more. As such the up front investment protects me longer

3. Enough to make either choice without any issue.

13. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

+1

14. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I think mine has the 256. Now you said youre looking for objective info, the problem is there really is no reason not to pick the pro. Except smaller screen size and saving money. But for what you're looking to do the 15" is so much nicer and you'll need the extra power to have CS4 run smoothly and with multiple apps open at once. I wouldn't even think twice about picking the MBP.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

MacBook Pro- hands down. You'll be happier long-term.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

OP seems to want the forum to convince him on what he already has his heart set on: Whitebook. In which case just buy what you really want to buy

The reality of the situation is the MBP is superior to the MacBook even though the MacBook is newer. the 8600GT is 2x faster than the 9400m, better screen, better processor, more ports, better case etc and thats an objective comparison

However if you like the MacBook, which you seem to do, then just go for it. Although it doesn't have an LED screen, has a smaller hard drive, 400MHz weaker processor and a case which is prone to cracking. Its by no means a bad machine...quite the opposite but holds no candle to the Pro

18. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

The old MacBook Pro has GPU (8600m) failures. The MacBook may. I have only heard of one failure of the 9400m but it is new.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You said that you don't like glossy screens, but... the MacBook has a glossy screen!