Current Genertion Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jade, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jade macrumors 6502

I have a 1G Airport Express. It is flaky, and my computers are always losing connection with it. First I thought it was my computer. No I am sure it is the router. So here's the question.

1. Is the new Airport Express flaky or reliable?
    2. If I don't get an airport express, what standard routers will also let me stream my tunes to my speakers

Thanks for your help!

(My use case? I live in a small apartment, I am never more than 15ft from the router at any time. Range is meaningless for me.

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

Do you live in a place with a large number of routers around you?

3. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

More and more everyday. I can see about 5-10 on any given day.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There's your problem.

When I lived in an apartment my Airport Express was always cutting out and, therefore, pissing me off. I moved into a nice big house and boom. No more problems.

It's just simple interference. There's really nothing you can do. Even changing channels isn't going to help sorry to say.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Have you tried changing the channel?

Any ways its more than likely that you might benefit from the newer Airports!

6. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

On the main screen go to the top and click on GO. Go to utilities. Click on Airport Utility. Wait a few seconds (it will take a few secs) then click on manual setup. Wait a few seconds. Then click on wireless at the top. There you can change the channel. Then click on update and you are done. Most use channels 1,6,11. I sometimes have good luck with 9. I live in an area with heavy wireless traffic and I change it from time to time when it slows down and it helps a lot.

That is the way I do it.

8. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Well, if yours goes down, just hop on someone else's. If they haven't set up security, that is. :D

9. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem. They ALL have security, except 2. One has good reception :D The other one doesn't. Of course it seems like when mines down.....so is the one with good signal strength. :(

10. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

Once it reappears, I'll try it. :(

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Running a new N-band capable Express in 5GHz only mode would definitely help with reception and minimize interference (if your Mac can use wireless-n).

12. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

I updated the channel. Hopefully it works, and I don't need to bust out my ethernet cable anymore!