Current i5 vs. Previous Gen i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jameslikeness, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

My wife is looking to get a new Macbook Pro. We're at the bottom of the MBP price range, probably a 13", and looking to get the best bang for our buck. Would we be better off getting her the current gen 2.4 GHz i5 or the Feb. 2011 2.7 GHz i7? It seems obvious to me that the i7 would be better, but I'm asking in case I'm missing something.

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get the cheapest one. Both will load webpages perfectly fast.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The 2.7GHz Core i7 is, of course, going to be faster, however, the Core i5 found in the Late 2011 MacBook Pros is newer (fastest Dual Core i5 produced). I'd recommend whichever is cheaper

4. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Haha, well, I know a lot of wives are just looking for something that will load webpages fast, but my wife is looking for something a little more. She uses Photoshop quite a bit for photo retouching and such.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Just a note, but for Photoshop she'd really appreciate a slightly larger screen. If the 15" were an option, perhaps a refurb, then that'd be better.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, it might make sense to add that information in the first post. How should we know what your wife is going to use the MBP for?

7. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Well I would assume that if my wife were just wanting to use the computer for non-intensive uses, she would go with a MacBook Air. Either way though, I think we've decided to go with the i7.

Thanks all!