Current iMac 27 - Noise under longer 100% CPU Usage?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chessexplained, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Chessexplained macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am considering to get a 27 Inch iMac, 3.5 Ghz i7, 16 GB, 512 SSD, 780M GPU.
    What I am not sure about and difficult to test in a store: how loud does the comp get under continous 100% CPU load, like for 30 minutes? There is also no GPU load that might cause heat, just 100% on CPU.
    My issue is twofold: the noise would irritate me, but in addition really loud noise (like from my current Windows Notebook) would be bad for the sound of the recordings I make. You really hear the fans spinning up and whirring with my current machine. Note that I only record my voice, no other sound.

I have read a couple reviews but it did not provide me with a clear answer. Do you have any experience with it?
    If the noise is too much of a problem, the new Mac Pro might be an option, as it seems to be really quiet according to all reviews.

2. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

I just had nearly the same machine (with 1TB SSD) and returned it. I ran a few benchmarks on it and when pushed, the fan ran significantly high and if you don't like fan noise, it would drive you crazy. TBH I thought my Mac Pro was whirring up their for a while.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My experience is that 100% on the CPU for 10-20 minutes doesn't cause the fans to spin up too much. Longer time frames (like a BluRay MKV to 1080p .m4v on Handbrake) do cause the fans to spin up.

But for me, the iMac's fan is still quieter than the noise my two RAID boxes produce, so I don't even hear the iMac even after an hour or more at 100%.

4. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Black magic caused a new 27" to go fan crazy after 10 sec.

5. analog guy macrumors 6502

sounds like something was wrong. that shouldn't happen.

6. Chessexplained thread starter macrumors newbie

Just like many reviews this thread does not give a clearer picture. Maybe I should just wait until the new Mac Pro is available, then get the iMac to test it and possibly return for the Pro if it's too loud.