Current iMac or Refresh for Photography?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Orlandoech, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'm looking to pick up an iMac and need help deciding on whether to buy now (BTO more than likely) or wait for the refresh?

I do freelance photography for published media, personal and commercial clients as well. I dont do anything but day to day tasks 70%+ of the time. I do photoshop with multiple 25mp images at a time when I do photoshop. I will do small video stuff with iMovie and/or Adobe Premier (family movies or quick tutorials) and all the other small stuff such as; Handbrake ripping, iTunes, Web, Email, Adobe DreamWeaver, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Soundbooth, Office/iWork.

So do I;

1. Buy current iMac 27" i5 2.7GHz BTO (SSD+1TB)
    2. Buy current iMac 27" i5 2.7GHz (And sell when refresh comes out)
    3. Wait for refresh in April-June time frame?

Even though it would be extremely inconvenient, my work issued Lenovo T420s w/ Toshiba SSD (i5 2540) would suffice until I get a refresh if I go that route. I would LOVE to have USB3.0 but its not totally needed but would be awesome. The GPU increase wouldn't do much for me unless in video ripping/en/decoding.

2. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

if you say that better gpu wont improve your workflow performance, then there's no reason for you to wait, because the expected cpu improvement will be cca 10%, so not much, but to be sure, try reading about amd GCN (graphics core next) which should improve general computational operations (of course if apple implements it) and should bring opencl 1.2, or maybe apple will implement nvidia so you could use CUDA. if any of the above features (gpu based) mean anything to you, you should wait, because next gen gpus will bring huge improvements over current generation, if not, buy now