Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefc93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I returned my week 6 quad core iMac i5 a few days ago (slight yellow tinge, some dead pixels in iSight) and asked the Genius in the Apple store to give me an iMac that's newer than the week 6 I had just returned, possibly a week 7. He returned and I looked at the serial number on the bottom of the box and it looked like it said that it was a week 8. I was excited, so I took it home. But then I turned it on and checked and it said that it was a week 5. I am going to return my current week 5 iMac since it also the yellow tinge which is even more noticeable than the past week 6 model and there is a speck of dust under the screen (right in the middle).

Does anyone know what the newest/most current week for the iMacs is at this time?

toed

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
I just bought a week 7 from my local Apple Store and it's damn near perfect...

a few dust specs under the screen, but to be honest that is too easy to fix to worry about it. In fact I'd laugh if I was a Genius and someone said, there is a dust spec under my screen, I want to return it...

This will be my 5th iMac, all previous ones were Weeks 4# and they were all badly yellow tinged. This one is near perfect. Is there "some" gradiant? Sure, but unless I look really hard with those test pages up, I don't see it... so I am keeping it.

I think Week 8 was just this past week.

Mine is also made in the US I think: QP007xxxx is my serial number.

stefc93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I just bought a week 7 from my local Apple Store and it's damn near perfect...

a few dust specs under the screen, but to be honest that is too easy to fix to worry about it. In fact I'd laugh if I was a Genius and someone said, there is a dust spec under my screen, I want to return it...

This will be my 5th iMac, all previous ones were Weeks 4# and they were all badly yellow tinged. This one is near perfect. Is there "some" gradiant? Sure, but unless I look really hard with those test pages up, I don't see it... so I am keeping it.

I think Week 8 was just this past week.

Mine is also made in the US I think: QP007xxxx is my serial number.

So are you saying that there is nothing newer/past week 8? No week 9, etc.?

carsonmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
I will take delivery of a week 8 on Monday. It shipped on Thursday from Apple in China.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Maybe the guy took a black pen and thought "haha let's make an 8 out of that 5 on the sticker and he'll think it's a week 8 imac" :(

toed

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
week 8...

would have been just this past week... 14th through today I guess.

My guess is in stores week 7 is the newest you can get... until next week or later.

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
where on the shipping notification did you find the serial number? I got my notification last night but can't find the shipping number.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
So are you saying that there is nothing newer/past week 8? No week 9, etc.?

You have to use some logic, there hasn't even been 8 weeks into the year as of yet. You actually expect Apple to have machines built in a week that hasn't even come yet such as 9?

stefc93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I returned my week 5 iMac and had it replaced with a week 7 iMac. So far so good...

carsonmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
where on the shipping notification did you find the serial number? I got my notification last night but can't find the shipping number.

Log in to the apple store and bring up your order. Click on the link to show the invoice. Serial number is there.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
OK, I just bought a 27-inch dual core tonight from the local Apple Store. I'm not seeing yellow on the screen or having any other issues (knock on wood), but how are you guys determining what week your hardware is? The 5th character of the serial #? If so, mine is '7'.

LoveHopeHero

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Just found out my week 8 arrived in Los Angeles today. Where are those FedEx guys, let me at 'em! Let me at 'em I'll rip 'em to shreds! :D

...seriously though, I don't want to wait for Monday. Who's wheel do I have to grease to get some service on a Sunday? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.