Current iPhone 4 users - poll

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gokunama, Jul 18, 2010.

?

Scale of issue?

1. Major problem, will take or have taken iPhone back for refund.

10 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Somewhat of a problem, considering taking iPhone back, hope the case does it though..

15 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Slight issue, very occassional dropped calls, not a huge issue though.

61 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. Not been an issue at all...

153 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Just curious how many actually have problems with their cell reception... and how big that issue seems.

Considering getting an iPhone 4, not sure as of yet though.

2. Alphaspida macrumors member

You'll be sure to find that most of the answers are going to be "no problem". I myself do not find my phone having troubles.

For those who are, drop AT&T and get a phone with better reception in that area for christs sakes.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i think there's plenty of threads on this but....i love my iPhone 4.

4. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Lots of threads, haven't seen a poll on it though...

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Some of these threads should be stickied so there aren't so many repeats of them all the time.

6. eTip macrumors 6502

I think a poll is wothwhile since it will help people get a bearing on how real the issue is. IMHO, the results will probably be at least slightly skewed towards people with issues - the rest of us are mostly too busy enjoying our phones. There was a similar poll right before official launch day when the issue was even more blown out of proportion than it is now. It helped me decide to go forward with my plans to pick up my reserved phone. For me, it was absolutely the right choice. I replaced a 2g that I had since launch. It had recently become essentially unusable in my home due to reception issues. So, I needed a phone with *improved* reception and the iPhone 4 has passed the test with flying colors.

7. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Stickying this thread might help others like me decide whether to get the iPhone 4, the poll does seem to put things more in perspective, and is a better idea than just looking at threads to see how bad an issue is, as at times it is just a very vocal minority posting, the satisfied have little reason to post.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Excellent job on your wording of the poll questions.

I've had two iP4's thus far. I'm an Apple enthusiast with years of experience with their products. Especially their high end PowerBooks, and since the name change... MacBook Pro's. I've had every iPhone to date. My suggestion is to be patient and wait. If you can wait for the next new iPhone I would. If not. I would at least wait till the other shoe drops in September, the date that Jobs has chosen to cut off the free bumper to fix you're iPhone 4 with. He left things open ended at the press conference presumably for one of two reasons. To reduce the heat over the antenna issue by not giving a final statement. Or to genuinely look into it further. At least that's the impression I was left with. I'm sure there are other interpretations of what was said.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I wouldn't expect a poll like this on a site like this to deviate too far from highly positive. ;)

11. rotlex macrumors 6502a

No issues here at all. Better performance than any phone I have ever owned, including my previous 3G.

With that said, I AM starting to get a little freaked out over the negative press. I actually had a guy that works with me see me on the phone last week, not a phone junkie or anything, ask if I was returning it due to reception issues. I explained it's probably the best phone I have ever owned, and I have had zero issues, but when done talking with him, I was like, you have to be kidding me.

It's CRAZY the amount of bad press this has brought, and how even people who are not into anything tech related, much less cell phones, are aware of this "issue". Even my in laws and my own Mother, who know I'm an Apple junkie, and iPhone owner, have asked me about it, LOL. Neither of them even really know how to USE a cell phone, let alone something like the iPhone.

I'm really hoping this all blows over, as I'm just sick of reading about it now, but in some ways, it will be interesting to see how\when Apple "recovers" from this. On the flip side of that, even WITH all the bad press, there still sellin' like hotcakes. :D

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I just wonder how many returns will happen this week when the 30-day return reaches a climax. This is why Apple addressed it on Friday before their earning report tomorrow. Many are having buyers remorse with all the negative press. And SJ was smart to give an open ended 9/30 date so we can all speculate a fix..... I doubt they will change the hardware for this model.

13. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

A sticky possible here?

I'd probably wait for the next model, but I live in Japan and may move back to Canada in two years, and the carrier here requires a two year contract... so I'm seriously considering the iPhone 4.

14. djgulia macrumors 6502

Overall, very happy with it. Did drop 2 calls over the weekend back to back, but I have always had spotty service at home. Also had issues with my home phone (Vonage) so I'm sure it was just my wifi/internet connection.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have yet to drop a call...

I think a lot of the problem with the press was people without an iPhone not understanding what the "death grip" was, and the media making it seem like whenever you hold the phone you drop calls, which is just not the case.

If you hold the phone, connect the antennas, and are in a weak signal area then you may drop calls but I have not had that happen to me yet.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Let me just point out that again, we're relying a little too much on statistics and how numbers look on paper (or in this case, on a screen). So far, it looks like the majority of respondents don't have a problem, but even if 99% of the people responding say "no problems" or "not returning," that doesn't help you in real-world terms if you end up mathematically falling into the category that has huge problems.

The only way you'll know for sure is to try it for yourself. You've got 30 days to give it a shot. If you're coming from another carrier, don't port your number over right away. Let AT&T assign you one of their numbers, and then try the heck out of the iPhone 4.

If you have problems with dropped calls or lost reception, you should know pretty quickly, and can then return the phone and get a refund, strenuously pointing out why you're returning the phone to the place you bought it from so that Apple hears about it. Your old number will safely stay with your old carrier, and you'll be none the worse for the experience.

But if by day 25 or so you're still happy, then you can give AT&T customer service a call, or visit one of their stores, and THEN tell them you're ready to port your old number over to the existing line. The AT&T-assigned number will go away, and will be replaced by the number you're porting in. Or if you'd rather keep the AT&T number and ditch your old number, you can do that too.

One last note: Making bars drop when you hold the phone a certain way is nice and all, but there are three metrics that you should pay attention to:

1. Whether the bars drop all the way down to the point where you lose service and the iPhone 4 starts "searching."

2. Whether your calls are dropping, whether text messages are not going through, or whether you are unable to make or receive calls.

3. Whether data is stalling or not responding.

If none of the above are happening, then you're fine.

17. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

i have not had a single issue. nor has my girlfriend, sister, and a handful of coworkers that own one as well. I wish I could chalk up 6 extra votes for no problems at all since they do not venture onto message boards.

18. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Only 10% answered 'will take back' or 'considering taking back', I'm all for getting the new iPhone, so thanks to all respondents, now only if I could convince the wife.... it's looking ominously like a no though...

19. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

My first ever :apple: iPhone,used Nokia for the last 11 years and still do.

Not had any problems with it and i'm happy as a pig in **** :p

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No problems with my iPhone 4 since I put a case on it.

21. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I loves it! Waiting on an InCase Slider.

The big wish for iPhone V for me is a bigger screen. Apple could appeal to both sides by making a 3.5 and 4.3 inch or whatever. Wishful thinking but hey, what the hell.

Oh and FaceTime kicks major ace! :D

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

The proximity sensor has been a much larger problem for me.

23. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

There's more than just the connectivity issue. Check out the Apple support forums. I think once they work out all the bugs, the picture on the phone is worth it. But I would wait until late Sept.

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

25. aluren macrumors 65816

The death grip is apparent for my phone, but since it never drops to "no service", I'm ok with it.