Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2006
My brother has his current iphone registered in our mom's name. he's young and mom just did the whole thing in her name and he gives the $$ to her for the bill and it's covered. ATT required a huge deposit since being young, understandable..

So he's been hounding me on the 3G thing... again this is all speculation...

So if he goes into the apple store to pick up the 3G phone but the contract is in mom's name, odds that he walks out w/ the phone activated? Since in her name? Don't think she'll wait in line with him...

Obviously if he can do it via itunes it's easy and done...

Any thoughts here?

saDeRmac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
My brother has his current iphone registered in our mom's name. he's young and mom just did the whole thing in her name and he gives the $$ to her for the bill and it's covered. ATT required a huge deposit since being young, understandable..

So he's been hounding me on the 3G thing... again this is all speculation...

So if he goes into the apple store to pick up the 3G phone but the contract is in mom's name, odds that he walks out w/ the phone activated? Since in her name? Don't think she'll wait in line with him...

Obviously if he can do it via itunes it's easy and done...

Any thoughts here?
The account holder has to call 611 (from cell phone) or 1-800-331-0500 and add your brother as an authorized user. Then he can do anything to the account accept add another line.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
All your parents need to do is add you as an authorized user to their account. They can perform this by doing the following:

1) Logging into wireless.att.com
2) Clicking "My Profile"
3) Adding your name to the "Authorized Users - Retail Store" section

gillilandboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis MO
I kind of had this same question to. I am 16 years old and on a family plan my dad and I both have iPhones and I will be upgrading to the new iPhone. If he adds me as a authorized user I will be able to walk in to the Apple store with cash resign my contract and be good to go? I just want to be able to walk out with an iPhone I don't mind if I have to activate it some other time. I plan on camping out for the 3G iPhone because I will be out of school and my dad isn't going to want to stand in line.

pamon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2006
cool.. thanks to all who applied... sent her an email telling her to do that and add my younger brother as an authorized user...

Does this mean ideally that he'd be able to go into the store and then purchase the 3G version and then be ok? hypothetically of course until the 11th...

if so, this definitely solves the problem... thanks again all...:)

pamon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2006
bumping this one due to the new info on activations from att. so my brother did the authorized user thing on the acct and was added.

So since he's not adding an additional line and simply just upgrading the phone from v1 to the new one, anyone see any issues?

Don't want him going in and them stating that since the accts in mom's name that he's dead in the water. Figure since he's an auth user and not adding a new line that it shouldn't be an issue..

anyone try this at all or call on this topic? thanks

Sherb

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Colorado
bumping this one due to the new info on activations from att. so my brother did the authorized user thing on the acct and was added.

So since he's not adding an additional line and simply just upgrading the phone from v1 to the new one, anyone see any issues?

Don't want him going in and them stating that since the accts in mom's name that he's dead in the water. Figure since he's an auth user and not adding a new line that it shouldn't be an issue..

anyone try this at all or call on this topic? thanks

He should still be fine and good to go!

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Okay, my mom added me as an authorized retail store user to our account as well, but since they are charging an $18 upgrade fee and will be extending the contract on my line for another 2 years, do you still think I'll still be able to get my iPhone 3G without her?

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
authorized users cannot sign up for additional lines or perform upgrades, your parent will have to get the iphone 3G for you

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
authorized users are allowed to change account stuff but you need to be a legal adult with photo id, account holders name, billing address and the last 4 of there social to do the upgrade stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.