Current iPhone update to 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, May 11, 2009.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

So I was watching the video from March about the 3.0 iPhone and they said that when the new iPhone is out, we can upgrade our current iPhone to the 3.0 but not everything will work such as MMS, but do you guys think the better screen rotate function (ie: in Email) will come with the update? I really don't care about the MMS feature, so maybe I am going to give up on purchasing the iPhone 3.0.:rolleyes:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

The current iphone will get it all, and it will be a free upgrade for all iphones. You won't have to purchase anything.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The 3.0 update is free for all iPhone users, paid for iPod Touch users. Current iPhone 3G users get all the features, the first-gen iPhone users don't get the MMS or Bluetooth stuff.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, everything demoed in that video you watched will be on your 3G that you got ripped off for, I'm guessing you never maned up and went back to the AT&T store?

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats not completely true. Its possible some features will not work. Video recording may or may not work. As well as any new hardware features.

6. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool guys, thats good to know, ya I did go back to the store today and asked for a change :D. Anyways, then how come everyone told me to return my newly purchased iPHone 3G and wait for the iPHone 3.0 in the summer? Isn't it a free upgrade?

7. randomusername macrumors 6502

While there may be unannounced features for the 3rd gen. iPhone, everything that was announced at the 3.0 keynote will be available for the iPhone 3G. A2DP Bluetooth and MMS will not be available for the first generation iPhone.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Technically there isn't video recording yet, and no new hardware. For everything we know (announced) my statement is true.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

they told you to wait for the new hardware. Which will probably be announced at WWDC

10. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

oh... so the new iPhone with the hardware will not be the next coming out iPhone (summer) right?

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple hasn't officially announced anything about the new iPhone hardware.

People are expecting that at the WWDC (world-wide developers conference, which is in the early part of June) that Apple will make an official announcement about the next iPhone hardware.

Until that announcement is made, nobody knows about the hardware.

You've already seen what they've announced about the software.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

14. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Yes screen rotation comes with 3.0. ie Landscape. For all other versions There is an app out called suretype (i think) allows you to type in landscape, spell check and than send email.

15. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

all thanks guys... so I misleaded myself from the brgining. But anyways I got my new iPhone 3G :)

16. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Has anyone heard a release date for 3.0? Or will they most likely announce it at the WWDC? I'm just getting a little anxious here.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

See post #11 above.

18. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I don't really care for MMS, but I always thought that this was just a software issue rather that hardware?

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, it's always been my understanding that as long as the phone can connect to the data network somehow, it's technically capable of sending a MMS message. Wonder if this is an artificial limit Apple is throwing in to encourage people to upgrade hardware?! That'd suck.