current iphone user: apparenty not eligible to upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

:(:(:(

i just called at&t... apparently my contract isn't up until august even though i have a 2g iphone. i will not be allowed to upgrade at the $299 price.

is this right? or is customer service misinformed? i have a feeling they are right. i am sad now :(

2. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

They are wrong. anyone who has an iphone can upgrade for the 199/299 price. Thread closed (ha i have no authority to do that).

3. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Don't feel sad its a happy time with the new iPhone and sofware upgrade coming. AT&T has publically stated that if you have an existing 2 year contract with the the original iPhone you are eligible for the subsidized price of $199/$299. Your 2 year contract will restart when you get your shiny new iPhone 3G.

4. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the woman said that, although the contract changed on january 23rd (when i bought my first iphone), i am not upgrade eligible until late august. she said that she has never seen a case like mine, but theres nothing she can do.

then i called my local corporate store and asked, and he told me that it was a bad idea to keep checking my upgrade eligibility because it continually runs credit checks on my account.

i sold my iphone... would that have anything to do with it? (i unlocked/jailbroke it prior to sale)

i bought my iphone while mid-contract on another subsidized phone. i think the upgrade eligibility from that phone hasn't changed, even though i have (had, but still on my account) phone.

5. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

No you are still eligable. Do a search.

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've been on this board since before the iphone 3g launch. i know that all current iphone users are eligible for the $199/299 pricing.

i also know that i don't want to look like a dumbass in front of my girlfriend and the other people in line, dragging her to an at&t store at 7am only to be told that i need to pay $500 for my new phone.

i really hate this. whatever, i'll keep my stupid samsung a707.

7. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I sold my iPhone a few weeks ago and am still eligible for the upgrade according the the ATT rep I spoke to.

8. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

You are eligible.

Also, calling to check you eligibility status will not keep running credit checks. If you are paying your bill and you are a current AT&T customer, they will allow you to upgrade your phone-No Credit check

Amazes me how bad (misinformation) At&T workers are...

9. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there any official at&t link to the current iphone eligibility policy?

10. bjquach macrumors 6502

wireless.att.com

Go there and on the middle of the page, it should be a big white box with a pic of the iPhone. Click on it and somewhere on the next page, there should be something called iReady. On a second thought, do you have the iPhone data plan active because this is how AT&T assumes if you have an iPhone or not. Otherwise, call again and maybe you'll get a better cs rep.:)

11. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

if you log on to your account at att.com you should be able to check your eligibility there and it will tell you then u can print that off for some form of proof but im not sure how much its worth

12. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

if you haven't already, register your phone online at: https://www.wireless.att.com/olam/registrationAction.olamexecute

you can then log in and click on the phone/device link. there you will see your eligibility status. hopefully it will be different than what you were told thus far.

13. iPegboy macrumors regular

*obvious question alert*

if you sold your first generation iPhone -- how could you be a current iPhone user?

14. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

the key is whether or not you have the iPhone 'Plan'. They won't care if you have the actual phone or not as I'm sure many people have lost theirs.

15. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm on a business plan... i can't register my line or my account on the website, so any and all account changes/questions must be done through a store or over the phone.

my plan shows as an iphone... i know it does. when she asked for my IMEI number (which i read from my old A707) she told me "that isn't the iphone". i know it's there, and i know i'm paying for the $20 data plan. i just got the bill for last month yesterday.

i bought my sister a 1st gen iphone and it should be arriving either today or tomorrow, maybe thursday. maybe i'll just hold on to it for a few days and put my SIM in there...

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

giving her your IMEI number from your A707 was probably your 1st problem/mistake

17. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just called again and gave her my account number instead of verifying via IMEI. she said that there is still an iphone on the account and that i AM eligible for an upgrade.

i hate this mess... blah :(

18. iPaul macrumors regular

19. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

again, i don't want to look like an idiot in the store.

the agent i was just speaking with called me back and told me that she just got an email saying that existing iphone customers are automatically eligible. i guess i'll be waiting in line after all...

20. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I was just about to ask if you updated your account since you sold your iphone...you beat me to it.

Maybe she told you that you couldn't because currently you don't have your iphone any more...but plainly your still paying for the iphone services, so you obviously had one. She just didn't know what she was talking about.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You won't look like an idiot in the store. Deciding the terms of an upgrade aren't favorable to you and walking away is a perfectly acceptable practice, and happens all the time in business transactions. The time spent finding the answer might be an annoyance, but that's AT&T's fault for not making this totally transparent to you beforehand. You made the effort to find out in advance and got conflicting answers for your trouble, so what else can you be expected to do?

The only people who look like idiots in the stores are those who holler and make a scene, usually because their credit is bad and the required deposit was shockingly high to them, or because their service was deactivated for non-payment and they refuse to blame themselves for not paying their bill. I doubt you're in this category. :)

22. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

We are phone buddies!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

23. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I would hope your girlfriend wouldn't think you to be a dumbass for wanting something...and atleast seeing if you can get it within the budget you deem fit.

Who cares what everyone else thinks. :p

24. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

she says i'm hopelessly addicted to the iphone ;)

25. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

So does my husband. ;)
    Only I'm sure he used 'obsessed' somewhere in the mix.

I think...he's getting one too.
    He is constantly reminding me that it is all my fault.

Don't let her sway your decisions...my husband didn't let my opinion sway his purchase of a 6-speed car (that I couldn't drive)

His vice...cars
    Mine...:apple: