Current iPhone User - Might Switch to Verizon/Palm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFrankie, Jun 16, 2010.

1. iFrankie macrumors member

I'm a long time Apple user and have been using an iPhone 1st Gen since release. I'm not an Apple hater, just to get that out of the way.

I'm pretty fatigued with AT&T and the iPhone. That's the best way I can put it. My iPhone screen is cracked and I need a new phone. I tried to get an iPhone yesterday but couldn't even though I was up at 3AM PST trying to get one. I'm kind of relieved I didn't get one because I really don't want to be locked to AT&T for another 2 years and I don't want to pay $325 to break the contract if Verizon ever gets the iPhone.

So, anyways. Has anyone switched to the Palm Pre from an iPhone? Do you like it? Are the apps any good? Does the Wi-Fi sharing on Verizon work well. This seems like a cool feature to use with my MacBook and iPad.

A non-iPhone doesn't really fit in my Apple world of electronics but the Palm seems pretty cool. I also don't want to be one of those Android users for reason. The Android/Google is just a turn off.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

2. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Shouldn't you be posting this on the Verizon/PalmRumors board? ;)

3. WHM macrumors regular

Bye.... if Microsoft fits your needs then switch. All these people waiting on Verizon? May NEVER happen...

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

5. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

What does your screen being cracked have to do with AT&T? It sounds like you just had the bad fortune to be trying to order a replacement during the highest volume day of the year with all the pre-orders going on.

6. fuzion macrumors 6502

I really dislike the pre.. a lady here had one and it was just kind of weird. The keyboard is freakishly small.

7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

All I remember about the Pre is that creepy chick they had in the early ads. Eeesh. She scared me.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Having just used the Palm Pre Plus on at&t for the last 3 weeks, I can say that it is a very nice and capable phone. WebOS is many ways feels better than iOS (multi-tasking, notifications), on par in several others (web browser, games, contacts, messaging), and is behind in only a couple (copy, paste, app store, build quality).

Coming from a 3g, the palm pre was a much better expierence, it was very fast and intuitive. The keyboard was small and took some getting used to, but for me anyways it was better than the virtual keyboard. However the spell check/predictive text on iPhone was far superior. The screen on the pre was nicer, and the earpiece was much louder and the phone felt much nicer against your ear than the iphone. Biggest complaint was the pre's battery life, it sucked big time, would get the 20% warning at like 2pm. The apps that were available were very nice as well, but expect to pay more since they don't have the same scale as iPhone sales. I think one of the games I bought was 4.99 on the pre, and only .99 on the iphone. The games on the pre plus were also on par graphicly with that of an iphone.

That being said, while I enjoyed the pre and webos very much, i did return it as soon as I saw the iphone 4 keynote and have pre-ordered the iphone 4 instead. While I did enjoy webOS better than iOS, the superior hardware and 3rd party support of iPhone was too much for me to overlook. Just go into an at&t store and play around with the pre plus for a little bit and decide if you would prefer to have that for 2years or the iPhone. Also try to calm down a bit and decide if this sudden want for another phone is because your frustrated about having a broken phone and not being able to pre-order, or if its the at&t network and want verizon, or if its because you truly are ready to move on from iOS and just bored with it.

9. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Arghhh flashbacks.......

10. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I don't see them supporting the palm pre too much longer TBQH. I think initially you'll like it but once its age and lack of long term features kicks in then your left feeling empty and then stuck on verizon for the same ETF. Your going to be waiting at least until 2012 before they would think about doing an iPhone on Verizon. Even then I don't see them wanting to make a whole series of phones JUST for the USA and I believe Canada only. If your partial to androids they are pretty good phones as well pending on what model you get.

You really have to except that buying a new iphone was going to be a very hard and frustrating thing to do due to the extremely high demand for one. Try buying a Macbook, Evo, Droid, and whatever else and you can walk in and out for those. Just look up the line for the EVO: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/htc-evo-4g-launch-day-line-watch/8

With the iPhone there's a line around the building in every country, state, and store. I wanted one from apple but was left only with AT&T. I don't even know if my phone will get here on time but I had a feeling about this anyway.

PS: What has mades you upset over AT&T.