Current iPhone4 User - Is iPad2 display an issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dylanursula, Mar 2, 2011.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey all

I am a current Iphone4 user and LOVE the screen on it. Is the iPad2 screen (same as iPad if I gather right) a huge step down? Would love the thoughts of users of both...

Thanks

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Obviously I have not actually seen the iPad 2, but assuming that it is virtually the same as my current iPad, yes, at first it will probably bother you a bit, especially if you have good vision. When text is small, it tends to be 'grey' rather than 'black' due to lack of pixels. In the long run, I have kind of gotten used to it, but still, a similar quality display is pretty much the only thing Apple could have added today that would have made me say I was getting the new iPad no matter what. As it sits, while the updates are nice, I'll probably stick with the one I have for some time.

3. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

I think so. The iPhone 4 screen had me totally craving a Retina-like display on the iPad 2. I even sold my original iPad a few weeks ago after I self-convinced myself that the iPad 2 was getting higher resolution. People may say having included it in today's release would've made it expensive, there should have at least been the option for those of us who wanted one.

I'm thinking that such a minimal update will be followed up with another form factor this Fall; at least I hope so.

4. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. I am thinking that the display will not be what I want and perhaps ok to wait :)

5. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Its comforting knowing that users of both an iPhone 4 and an iPad get used to the ipad screen.

I plan on getting the iPad 2, and I currently have an iPhone 4.

I tried playing with the iPad for a few minutes in-store, and I have to say, I was really disappointed with the screen quality, but I understand why Apple didnt add that as a feature. It would just be way too cost effective.

Hopefully it wont take too long to get use to the iPad 2s display, but then again, I probably wont even notice it while I have a hilarious time with GarageBand and PhotoBooth :D

6. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

damn man, apple has spoiled yall with this iPhone 4 thing.

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Once you get used to the iPhone 4 display, the iPad takes some time to adjust. Really depends on what you are using it for. For example, I read a lot of scientific papers (Biology) on the iPad, and most papers are hardly readable w/o a pinch/zoom. I can sorta read them, but its not pretty.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

I have an iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad. While I can certainly tell the difference in the 3GS vs. 4, the iPad screen isn't something I've ever had a problem with. While certainly a retina display would be nice on the iPad, I don't think at this point it is practical due to the yield/cost issues.

Overall, the iPad display is very nice I think. Is the iPad 2 worth trading in an original for? Not for me - the cameras/FaceTime just don't cut it for me and the slightly lower weight and thickness aren't game changers.

That being said, if I didn't already have one, I wouldn't shy away from the 2 just because it lacks a retina display. It will likely be at least a year before one with a new display is released.