'Current Location' is Old Address

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by samdale, Nov 19, 2009.

1. samdale macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry if something on this has already been posted...

When I click on 'Current Location' on my iPod Touch it brings up my old address. Is there a way to alter this? I have contacted o2 Broadband and they are being no help. I have also tried to change it on skyhookwireless with no success.

Cheers for your help

Sorry to ask again but can anyone help with this? It is really bugging me!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :D

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Where are you clicking Current Location? Do you have Location Services turned ON in Settings > General?

How far away is your old address from your current one? ;) (You didn't move across the street, did you? :D )

3. samdale thread starter macrumors newbie

Clicking on the current location/find me button on Google Maps. But it is the same on other apps aswel .

My new address is about 45 miles away so not quite across the street :D

Any help would be great

4. Spaceface macrumors newbie

Are you using the same wifi router as at your previous address, perchance?
    If so it sounds like 02 (or somebody else) had registered the MAC address of the router with Skyhook and not updated it when you moved. You can add your new location at http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php if you really want to. It might take a few weeks for the update to take place though.
    In case you are worried about Skyhook (it does sound very Cyberdine like!) here's a little MR article for your perusal http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/23/skyhooks-wi-fi-location-technology-for-iphone-ipod-touch/

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

He says he's done the Skyhook thing - so maybe he is just seeing the delay.

Also, make sure you have updated your address in your contact. Don't ask me where - but i kept getting autofill stuff wrong and it was pulling from that info. How is that for specifics? LOL!

I just wish that "location aware" apps considered that not every router is on "the list" and gave you a way to manually enter a zip code or something. There was an app for finding where kids eat free - i can't find any here because nothing is listed, and it was impossible to check the town i was going to be in for dinner. I'm not a big user of the FAIL statement, but in this case it was FAIL.

ANYWAY....

6. samdale thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried the skyhookwireless thing over a month ago. It said it would change the address within a few weeks and it still brings up my old address.

And I am using the same wireless box; thats why I presumed it was a problem with the skyhookwireless thing. Maybe I should give it another go

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When (not if ;) ) you get this worked out, please post your results. I find this an interesting situation, given that location services are so widely used.