current low-end 15" MBP runs FCS2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lyl, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lyl macrumors member

can the current low-end 15" MBP runs FCS2 fully including Motion and Color?
    since I am buying a new notebook for video editing
    Thanks.
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

Color-Specific Requirements

* The standard graphics card in any mac pro, 17-inch MacBook Pro, 24-inch iMac, or 2.5GHZ or faster Power Mac G5 Quad.
    * For 32-bit rendering: a graphics card with at least 256MB of VRAM.
    * A display with 1680-by-1050 resolution or higher (excluding 20" iMac); dual displays are highly recommended.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It will run but only just, it would be better to use the higher end 15" due to the 512 graphics card and extra RAM. Especially since snow leopard is around the corner, 4GB of RAM will be useful in 64bit Operating System.

3. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I can run FCS2 on my 2 year old mbp & works fine for me to edit HDV & prores HD. you don't need the highest end to run it.
    My friend has the new low end unibody mbp and runs it with no hitches.
    I would go to 4gb of ram though, I have 2gb of ram and need to upgrade to the max my laptop supports(3.3gb). You can probably get the ram upgrade cheaper from a 3rd party website(simple install under battery).

Only thing is you'll probably need an external screen for color, since the screen resolution is too small for the interface on the 15", but really you shouldn't be doing color grading on a laptop screen anyways.

4. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it runs absolutely fine. Ignore anyone who says otherwise. Obviously, the better the machine the better it will run, but the low-end machine runs it just fine. My 2 year old Macbook Pro ran it superbly, and so does my low-end spec unibody Macbook Pro. It's great.
    Dan x

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The extra ram is the only thing i would suggest.

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

You do know that Leopard is 64 bit, right?
    How else would they sell a Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM?
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/64bit.html