Current Mac mini support AHCI in Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeybagel, Feb 23, 2014.

1. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I was wondering if the current (2012 6,1) Mac mini supports AHCI in Windows or not, so it could possibly use TRIM for an SSD? I have not purchased one yet and this could affect the task I would use it for.

Thanks

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

I can't answer the question directly. At least on my 2011 laptop, AHCI isn't fully supported in CSM-BIOS mode boot, which is what a Boot Camp installation of Windows depends on. So the SSD is in a fallback IDE mode. But I haven't got a good way of testing if trim isn't possible in this mode, I wasn't thinking AHCI was required for trim support on Windows.

Anyway, it's not super important to have trim support on better SSDs. Ideally, yes, but I wouldn't make it a requirement.

3. monkeybagel thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the response.

It would actually be running VMware ESXi, which could potentially have a lot of disk activity. I was thinking of using the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB. ESXi may boot in EFI mode, which I assume would support AHCI without issue, but I have found limited information on this so far. I do know that ESXi will run on a 2012 mini but not sure of the details.

4. freeuser macrumors regular

i can't speak for the Mini

but usually, if you boot the Windows 8/64Bit DVD (press Alt) you can choose EFI-Boot. Than you should have AHCI in Windows. Disadvantage maybe no sleep mode und missing sound, but faster boot times (my iMac).