Current macbook air price drops after june announcement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sneak3, May 20, 2017.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

I need to buy the cheapest macbook air 13" for my girlfriend as soon as possible. I have a special coupon from apple which gives me a 125$ discount. However, the coupon expires June 1st and with the next event coming and possible announcement of the new macbook air, I fear there will be a significant price drop for the current gen.

I could wait until mid June if it means saving more cash than I would using the coupon now.

What do you guys think?
    How much does Apple usually cut down the price of older gens?
    And does the drop usually occurs right after the announcement or only after the release date?

2. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

Apple does not cut prices a lot
    If you need it buy, don't look back

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but I'd like to have more information before making that decision. If best buy makes sales with 200$ off Îd imagine apple to drop it even further after a spec bump/update.

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

Best Buy frequently has sales on Macs. I buy from BB now instead of Apple.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I don't think Apple sets its previous model prices based on Best Buy sale prices.

6. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

7. Pugly macrumors regular

I doubt Apple will lower the price below $999.

The 11" being $899 is really an aberration, just a side effect of Apple making the 13" $999.

I don't think Apple will be upgrading the Air anymore either... any cpu upgrades would give it the same power as the non-touch retina Pro for considerably less money.

Apple needs a $999 computer to lure buyers to the higher priced items...

But Apple's direction of the Mac platform is as confused as ever... so anything is possible.

I'd buy the computer with the discount...

8. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm so if ot ends up being a spec bump, probably no price drop. The only chance for a price drop would be the introduction of a new MBA gen, right?

9. Pugly macrumors regular

No one really knows, but Apple rarely does price drops... you might find some refurbished deals. But usually the old models are just completely replaced by the new...

10. danny_w macrumors 601

11. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Does his Apple coupon work at BB?

12. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on Canada folks. There are currently no BB deals here and the Refurbished Store does not have a mid 2015 base model at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I will try and snipe a refurbished base model if one appear at the refurbished and pair that with the coupon for big savings. Have 10 days to find one there, if not, I'll just get a brand-new one from the retail store and be happy with -100$.

13. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

If you worry over a couple of hundred dollars Apple might not be the right brand for you. Go with Acer or Dell.

14. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You can find deals greater than $125 off.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    Most upper middle class is the result of frugality.

15. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Please tell me where.

16. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

eBay all day

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Best Buy is not Apple. Best Buy will put stuff on sale, often at decent discounts, in order to move volume. Apple does not work that way...

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The cheapest MacBook from apple is $999. Has been for a while and will likely continue to be. The only question is what you get for that price. Used to be a non-retina MBP 13". Now it is a 13" MB Air.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

There will be no changes to the MacBook Air pricing because the MacBook Air - as it would seem - is now "dead."

Best bet is to buy when BB has their $200 off which they seem to do fairly regularly.

20. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Buy it as close to the end date and you have 2 week return period. Or do a google search for lower prices on mac's. Goto the refurbished area and save allot of money. Come WWDC no one really knows what apples going to upgrade, drop or release as new