Current Macbook pro model heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polarflour, Sep 6, 2008.

1. polarflour macrumors newbie

Hi all, this is my first post in macrumours. Nice to meet you all. :apple:

Here's my question for the current model of macbook pro user.
    I am gonna surf the net, word processing, and some video watching, and music listening on the MBP, is it still gonna be very hot for the MBP?

I have been PC user for years, and I am gonna purchase a MBP for university. I am gonna spend a lot of time doing researching and word processing with this laptop. This is also gonna be my first laptop&mac. I have visit the apple store, the MBP is just about to be the perfect laptop for me, except it is very hot on the surface, keyboard, and power adapter. I know a macbook would suit my need but the screen is too small, and I like aluminum case better.

2. ajhaji macrumors regular

Welcome to the forums!

My MacBook Pro does get warm. I've resorted to using an aluminum cooling base whenever I'm using it on my lap. Because the MBP is built out of aluminum, it conducts heat very well and so the heat tends to heat up the case quite easily.

Based on your needs, the MacBook would be just fine.

If you can afford to wait, I'd suggest waiting a month. It's widely rumoured that we'll be seeing new laptops shortly, including (possibly) an aluminum-clad MacBook. Because it's not as powerful as the MBP, it shouldn't get as hot.

3. polarflour thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply.
    I have saw the rumors too, I will try to wait for a month.
    If the aluminum macbook has same LCD screen and size as MBP, then I will definitely consider buying it.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

why can't people search the fourms, this MBP heat topic has been covered so many times....

The heat of the machine is a non-issue, doesn't affect performance what so ever!! I know, i have mine running with Motion and it gets to 100°C! And still runs fine!!!

If your worried, then to help keep the system cooler there are some software utilities on the public domain sector that'll adjust the internal fans and stuff. It's not advisable to use the MBP directly on your lap as it's not technically a "laptop".. If you do, there is always the iLap (excuse the japanese) that you can buy.

5. chaveezy macrumors newbie

cooling has been a brought up issue by many on this site, as I recently purchased a 15" MBP with the NVidia GeForce 8600GT, and the first thing I did was start researching commonly known issues. They say the NVidia graphics card is the main reason for the heat related concerns, however, there is a great utility that I found in searching for nice free apps to increase the longetivity and productivity of my machine, it's name is smcFanControl and can be found at the authors website;

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/

Very useful tool where you can manually manipulate your left/right or both fans individually. I run my fan at 2800rpm usually unless I have it in my lap, then I speed the fans up to ~4000rpm.

Hope this helps.