Current MacBook Pro or Potential New One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #1
    Right, as I previously posted, my G4 Powerbook had to go to my insurance company due to my ex girlfriend dropping it and smashing the screen.

    My insurance company have just phoned and told me that the Powerbook is beyond repair (boo hoo), and they are sending me a replacement laptop which is a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro.

    My question is, do I keep this or do I sell it unopened and instead keep the money for when the new Macbook Pro's are released?

    As many opinions as possible would be appreciated.
     
  2. samh004 macrumors 68020

    samh004

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    You could just not open it for the next few days and make a decision then based on what's released. After all, nothing may be released.
     
  3. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #3
    The box! The box!

    Nothing is for sure, but if you can sell it for full price and get the new fabled MBP, then do that. But, based on the fact that you're upgrading from a Powerbook G4, you'd be perfectly happy with the MBP they're sending you.
    I, for one, wouldn't but a full price MBP off of some guy on craigslist.
     
  4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #4
    Well I'm a regular seller on eBay with a high amount of positive feedback, so I would like to think I'd be trusted. The particular model that I am being sent is selling for around £1050 on eBay at the moment which I'd be perfectly happy with.

    My problem with waiting til after the 15th is that the value will go down once the new Macbook pro's are released (if they are released).
     
  5. hari-bhari macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    #5
    i highly doubt the value of the current macbooks would go down if a new pro was released. they are not really competing products, and each has its own price point.
     
  6. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    JERSEY SHORE
    #6
    hey if you don't mind me asking what insurance company do you have...i would love to get coverage like that...geico told me if it drops or spillage of any fluids im out of luck.....

    just got a new 2.6 mbp and want to get it insured....
     
  7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #7
    It's Barclays Student Posessions Insurance
     
  8. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    JERSEY SHORE
    #8
    Kool Thanks Alot Man.....

    YA THEY ARE IN EUROPE.....IM IN TH EGOOD OLE USA....
     
  9. shuffles macrumors 6502

    shuffles

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    Location:
    dublin, ireland
    #9
    If new laptops are announced next week either in the pro lines or new lines do you think they will be released that day like the new imac was or by the end of Jan??

    Im asking cuz my Dell laptop just crashed recently and the hard drive went bust and its out of warranty. I want to change over to Apple but i need one this month cuz im doing a thesis in college. If newly announced laptops are not gonna be released until may or something ill just have to buy one of the existent laptops.

    Does anyone know??

    Cheers.
     
  10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #10
    You'll never be happy (regardless of which model you get) as long as you keep trying to keep up with a giant marketing corporation.
     
  11. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #11
    I think it's unfair to say that. It's a completely different situation when there is likely to be a new model announced a week away!
     
  12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #12
    Ok, so my insurance company phoned me today and said that my Macbook Pro is being delivered on Friday. I really don't know what to do. Do I keep it or do I sell it and wait for an upgrade?

    I've waiting so long for Apple to replace or upgrade the macbook pro before buying one.
     
  13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #13
    better wait. the current mbp's suck big time. i mean not much of an upgrade from the pb g4 :rolleyes:

    as you can tell id keep it. any upgrade wont be too significant
     
  14. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #14
    lol, I know the Macbook pro will be a huge upgrade from my G4, but you know what I mean. If I can get around £1000 for the macbook pro and put some cash towards it for the new update, it's rather tempting
     
  15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #15
    I'd say it depends on whether the insurance one will do what you want. I'm going to hazard a guess and say it probably will. The Black MacBook I currently own was a step up from my G4 Powerbook. I have however just bought a refurb MBP as I need the better graphics card.

    It doesn't matter whether you get your new MBP now or next week, it'll still be replaced by something superior sooner or later. Which I'm sure you know. Whatever may happen on tuesday it's unlikely to be as big a leap as the one from G4 - Intel. I'd guess it'll just be a speed bump maybe some money off. There is of course the slim MacBook rumor but I expect that to be underpowered.

    Anyway look at it this way, if you sell your insurance MBP, you'll end up having to fork out cash for a new MBP. Around £300-400 for the middle model, including student discount. So factor that in as well.

    Of course the choice is yours, and if you wanted to play it safe you could always keep it boxed until after Tuesday?

    Out of interest though - is she your ex because she smashed your Powerbook? I know I'd seriously consider that :) Im precious over my Macs!
     
  16. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #16
    Thanks for your wise words. The truth is, I'd be anchoring over a Macbook Pro for several long months but never mustered the courage to spend £1400 on one (including HE discount). I'm absolutely thrilled about getting such an excellent laptop as a replacement for a PowerBook I bought off ebay in July for considerably less.

    As I said, my only thought is that I was waiting for an update before I decided to purchase, and I had actually been saving money to buy one after the 15th.

    However, you're totally right. The MBP is far superior to my Powerbook G4, and I'm sure the MBP will handle Final Cut Pro and Logic Studio far better than my G4. Maybe I should use the money I saved for an iMac or Mac Pro instead.

    ...and for your burning question...she was my ex before she smashed the screen. She was actually using the laptop for her uni work at the time because her Windoze machine was riddled with spyware. I am protective over my mac and my guitar, but don't think I'd end a relationship due to an accident...especially when the outcome is as good as this :p
     
  17. Ryox macrumors 6502a

    Ryox

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    Friday?

    hmm... I'd just not open it till tue, just in case there is an update, but thats just me
     
  18. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #18
    That's not a bad idea. I've been using one of the new iMacs at work and they are fantastic machines. I'd say a Mac Pro is overkill unless you know you need all that power.
     
  19. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #19
    Yeah I convinced my work to buy an iMac for HD video editing and its amazing.
     
  20. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #20
    I don't think you are going to see that much of a change to the MacBook Pro right now. I think you'll get a Penryn processor with same case.

    I predict a new case this summer with the release of the Montevena (sp?) chip.

    Unless you need the bleeding edge, what you've got is outstanding!
     
  21. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #21
    Just for boasting, let me say I got my refurb 2.4 GHz MBP today. I can't afford a new MBP, even with the HE discount (I work at a College, and still qualify! Woot!). After using it for a few hours this evening I can safely say I couldn't care less what gets announced on Tuesday. This Mac is fantastic, and will easily do what I'm about to throw at it!

    Yes it will be out of date within 6 months, do I care? Not really! The biggest issue for me was the fact it didn't come with 10.5 like it should have, so I had to spend 30 mins on the phone to Apple today, speaking with 3 different people to get them to agree to send me the install disc. Cheeky buggers tried to charge me 5.95 for it too! Luckily I quit smoking on Sunday and have very little patience at the moment :)

    Now to eBay the Macbook..
     
  22. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #22
    It's economy vs. newer technology
    Although, the current one will probably suffice and suffice with some to spare still.

    pulsewidth947: You have't changed your sig yet!
     

Share This Page