Current MacBook Pro upgradeable?

ckuttner

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Forgive me if I'm not locating this info elsewhere...

I'm seriously looking at a current model 13" MacBook Pro. One of my gripes with the Air and 12" MacBook is that the SSD and RAM can't be upgraded.

The bottom-level 13" would be great if I could add RAM and a bigger SSD. Does this model have sockets to make that possible?

Thanks in advance

chas

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I'm seriously looking at a current model 13" MacBook Pro. One of my gripes with the Air and 12" MacBook is that the SSD and RAM can't be upgraded.
The bottom-level 13" would be great if I could add RAM and a bigger SSD. Does this model have sockets to make that possible?
Thanks in advance
chas
Short answer No and Yes (kind of). The RAM is soldered in so it is NOT upgradeable. The SSD is a Apple only connector and no other 3rd party companies are making them. The only way to upgrade is to find one pulled from another Mac.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009

The non-retina model of the 13" Macbook Pro can have upgraded RAM and SSD, but it's a 2012 computer.
It's theoretically possible to upgrade the SSD in the retina Macbook Pro models, but nobody is selling one that's compatible.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
chas
Thanks, folks. Sounds like I should buy configured as I need. But as to SSDs...
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash
looks like that might be an option.
No that will not work, unless you changed you original parameters from "current" to 2012 or an early 2013. The "current model 13" MacBook Pro" is a 2015.