Current Macbook Pro vs iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fsubassoon, Jul 28, 2009.

1. fsubassoon macrumors newbie

Ok, in need of some opinions. I currently have a unibody Macbook Pro. The generation right before the one with non-removable battery, with 2.4 processor. I love it, but just got a Dell mini 9 for my birthday and am planning on putting OSX on it. Since I will have a portable OSX machine, should/could I sell it and buy a refurbed 24" iMac, or will I come to regret it or just be too much hassle.

Thanks for any input, just throwing around an idea.

2. fsubassoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double post, not really sure how that happened. :confused:

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

OSX or not, the netbook is limited. So unless you only surf the web etc when you are not home, I say keep the macbook. How about buying an external monitor for when you're at home?

4. fsubassoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... I thought about it, but the sexiness of the iMac vs. an external monitor is an evil thing. :D

Thanks for the suggestion, and the more I think about it, seems to be the most intelligent decision by a long shot. Any monitor suggestions? I'd prefer something around the size of the 24" iMac, as it is stunning and spacious.

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Apple Cinema Display 24"???:D

6. entity macrumors regular

If I was in the market for a monitor, I'd get this even though it's just shy of your 24" requirement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001330

Edit: In fact, Best Buy has it on sale for cheaper.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...P2370&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218063394621

7. fsubassoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, talk about sexy. It's a shame they are charging near macbook prices for it, or I'd do it. Even if it was half off, I wouldn't jump. Just can't justify it, even with 1900x1200.

8. fsubassoon thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Me neither. I just have a samsung 22 inch LCD on my desk since the most colour-accuracy demanding thing I do is watch CSI :p¨

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Get a monitor with an IPS or P-VA/MVA panel, not TN. :)

11. Merzie macrumors member

I really will warn you about the DEll Mini 9. THE KEYBOARD. It is unusable. IT is the most impractical keyboard I have ever used. I rather type with two thumbs on a blackberry. I installed osx on it and really it was a great concept, but the trackpad sucks, too. I say keep the mbp.

12. fsubassoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Crap, way to rain on my parade. :p Well, it should be here tomorrow, so I'll have to try it out, but that is the biggest complaint I've read about it on the forums. Supposedly there is an alternate keyboard for it that puts the " key back where it should be, but I believe it makes the keyboard even more cramped. We'll see how well I can adapt to it, and thanks for the heads up about it.

13. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

There's nothign wrong with a TN if you're not doing color critical work

To the OP, get a MBP and a nice big external monitor