Current MacBook Pro vs. New model help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mbnakron, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. Mbnakron macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2010
    #1
    I don't have a lot of computer knowledge or background, so I will pose this to the people who know. I am in desperate need of a new laptop and want to make the switch from PC to MAC. My question is for what I use a laptop for, will it be best to wait for an I5/I7 MacBook Pro or will a current model with Core 2 duo work? I plan on using the laptop mainly for websurfing, photo editing, watching videos (youtube..etc), and downloading music. Also, I will be using it to manage my ipods and iphone. If the new chips will be significantly faster or run programs with better ease, that it would be best for me to wait. Thanks for the help.
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    New chips won't make any difference at all to you.
     
  3. hypermog macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #3
    ^^^ This, in a blind taste-test, you won't be able to tell the difference.
     
  4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

    CJS7070

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    If you need it now, get the current model. You won't notice the difference much anyway, as others have said.
     
  5. blondiegodgirl macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2010
  6. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
  7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

    numbersyx

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #7
    And why is that, pray tell?
     
  8. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    #8
    i'm trying to persuade the OP to wait for the next update since the price/performance ratio suck right now from the value deprecation of the components used in the current models.

    i know, the mbp is a gorgeous machine, but its well worth the wait.
     
  9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

    Hellishness

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #9
    I agree.
     
  10. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #10
    I agree with the advice of other posters that you should get a current MBP. For your purposes, it will be terrific and a faster chip wouldn't make much, if any, practical difference to you.

    I would add that it seems to me to be a bad idea to listen to those who tell you that buying an MBA now would be a "mistake" because a new, neater, faster, flashier, (pick one) model is "imminent." First, Apple is the most secretive organization this side of the Kremlin. Thus, we simply don't know when the new models will actually be introduced. Second, and more important, the advice to wait doesn't bear critical analysis. Carried to its logical conclusion, nobody would ever buy any product because a newer model will always be released eventually. Finally, the current MBA is more than sufficient for your needs, so why wait other than so that you can brag you were the first kid on your block to get the new model?
     
  11. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    #11
    most of us buy based on value, so the best time to buy would obviously be right after a new release (which is why the buying guide includes a section recommending you to buy now, neutral, or wait).

    i agree with you that if you need the mac now, u should just buy it. however the OP states that he is not in imminent (keyword) NEED of a new notebook, so wouldn't it make sense to wait it out especially since the next release is more or less sitting on the edge of the fence just waiting to tip over?

    its ur money. do wat u want with it. my advice, avoid this website like the plague and keep ur mind on something else. use whatever u have and be happy with it.
     
  12. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #12
    That's good advice. I based my opinion that there was no reason for the OP to wait because he wants to move to Mac from Windows and, based on his intended uses, the current MPB would satisfy his needs admirably. That said, I am waiting for the MBA to be refreshed because the 2Gb RAM limitation of the current model makes it inadequate for my purposes. My advice applies to those, though, who are ready to buy a computer and have found one that will work for them. Under those circumstances, waiting for a new model is simply an excuse not to buy what you need when you need it.
     

Share This Page