Current MacBook Vs wait?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jolle, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. Jolle macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2007
    #1
    New member here, (wainting to buy his first MacBook) :)

    I know this has been discussed like a million times, however plz help med out here ladies and gent's.

    I am confused about if I should wait and get the new Santa Rosa MacBook or if I should buy one right now and just forget about the new update.

    I would like to set up the pros and con for buying now Vs. waiting.

    Buy Now:
    Pros
    1. I wont need to wait any more for my first MB.
    2. I am sure that what i get is a stable system.
    3. I am sure that i like the current design.


    Cons
    1. I may be getting less value for my money.
    2. Maybe the new SR MacBook design is cooler.
    3. The SR MB will be faster if all systems work as they should.
    4. I wont be able to upgrade my macBook (compaired to the SR MB)


    ______________________________________________________________


    Wait for the SR MacBook:
    Pros
    1. The MacBook may be faster and requrie less battery.
    2. May have a even cooler design.



    Cons
    1. The system upgrade maybe running unstable or crash.
    2. The new design(if any new desgin upgrade is applied) maybe uglier then the old one.
    3. may be more expensive then the old MBs were.
    4. I have to wait for it to be released.


    As a final note,
    I do NOT desperately need a MacBook right away, i am just sick and tired of using PCs and i really, really looking forward to get my first Mac, however I can use my PC laptop for now.
    I just want to make the right decision,

    Should i wait for the SR MacBook or not?

    Help me, and feel free to any more pros and cons.
    That's what i really would like to hear, so that i can dicide myself based on peoples opinion, Pros and Cons, and technical information.

    Beforehand, Thanks.
     
  2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #2
    I would wait.

    The design is unlikely to change. The processor will do (at some point).

    If you don't care about having the latest - buy one now and be happy!!
     
  3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
  4. Episteme macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    #4
    There is one rather intersting possible pro or possible con -- and right now, we don't know which.

    The new integrated graphics core, X3000.

    In theory, it should be quite a bit quicker than good ol' GMA 945 (the current integrated graphics part). However, it's not. Not yet.

    Over in Windows-World, the X3000 already made its debut in the 965 desktop boards, and it turns out the drivers suck. Intel still hasn't enabled hardware T&L in their drivers, and as a result, performance is actually worse than GMA 945 in games. That in itself is an oddity, since GMA 945 always did T&L on the CPU...

    The X3000 is quite a departure for Intel in that it's a programmable core, rather than a fixed-function core. It looks like they're finding it's harder to get right than they thought. The drivers with support for hardware T&L were originally planned for December release, but so far, nada.

    How this will affect the Mac is anybody's guess, but I'm guessing that Intel's own people having problems with the drivers isn't a good sign.
     
  5. aquanutz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    Location:
    Boston, MA (I miss Willoughby, Ohio)
    #5
    Having gotten bitten by buying a Powerbook only to see a new one come out two months later, I would wait. We know new ones are coming. It would suck to pay for the current gen only to have a new one come out and be so much better at the exact price you just spent on the old model. Sit tight.
     
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #6
    This is my opinion as well. I myself am anxiously awaiting the arrival of WWDC '07. :)
     
  7. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #7
    Wait if you can for WWDC to see what they will offer. Pull the trigger and snag one now if you want, all the current models are capable for running Leopard when it does release. Good luck!
     
  8. gburford macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    #8
    I am in the same boat wait or buy now???????

    you can get some fair rebates at the moment so save a few hundred but still not sure

    but I am sick of my PC
     
  9. acoustics940 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2006
    #9
    wait till the year 2020 because im sure something really cool will be out then thats better than what we have now! Your question is self defeating even if you wait there is still something bigger and better that will be released.
     
  10. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #10
    If you don't need it, don't get it.
    If you want it, get it.

    I acutally didn't need one, but I still got one. I was tired of this waiting game, and now I'm happy I got it. Really wish Leopard came out in Spring, but oh well. OS Update > Minimal Processor Upgrade for me.
     
  11. mrcmosx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2007
    Location:
    rosemead, Ca
    #11
    I bought my mac book a few weeks ago and do not regret it... I play counter strike on win XP pro all the time. On the mac side I do all my retouching ^_^
     
  12. Mistershark macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    #12
    I, too, have been anxiously waiting to get a Macbook. I have held my breath since the C2D update because I need a Macbook with non-integrated Video RAM. I doubt Apple will end the VRAM integration, seeing as that is one of the only things different (from a power perspective) between the MB and MBP.
     
  13. Khryz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    #13
    I've also been curious about the new Macbook. Originally I wanted to waited until Leopard came out in June-ish (WWDC) to get one, but now that it's delayed, this Santa Rosa business is making me think twice about buying. I am not a hardcore computer person though, I just want one because I'll be a first-time switcher from boring Windows and have fun with OSX, surf the web, instant message, music, watch movies, etc. No professional editing or anything like that - so I doubt the Santa Rosa or anything more than what the current Macbook offers is something I need.

    It's a new iPod that I HAVE to wait for since I still have a 3G with problems.
     
  14. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2005
    #14
    This is what I'm doing too...I can wait a bit, though as I type this on my 12" PowerBook G4. But, come August...getting ADC (starting 3L year of Law School)...getting fat discount on MBP...

    I really hope that the next rev/model of MBP is worth the wait...doesn't really affect me, but i've been reading a lot about the "predictions" and tons of people are waiting...
     
  15. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

    Tadros86

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #15
    I am waiting

    I was waiting for Santa Rosa to come out, but I just bought the ADC Student Membership. . . if Santa Rosa came out tomorrow I wouldn't be able to buy it yet cause I want that discount and I need to get all my school paper work done to get my student ID and Schedule. Financial Aid takes forever!!! :p But the Macbook Pro will be my first of a few macs. I will probably buy a Mac Pro in the middle/towards the end of 2008 or at least a Mac Mini. I seriously can't wait though! SO excited!
     
  16. Bake151 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Upstate, NY
    #16
    I struggled with the same question for a couple of months, should I buy now or wait? I read everything there was to read on every thread that might give me just a hint of what was to come. Well, 2 weeks ago I finally bought a MacBook, 2Ghz, white. I am totally happy with it!! Something better will always come out after you buy, always. I didn't feel like waiting anymore and I don't regret it. Just my 2 cents worth.
     
  17. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

    guitarmaster18

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2007
    #17
    Yea, just buy the current macbook. It is plenty fast, and after Santa Rosa comes, they will be talking about some new thing. I am happy that I bought mine.... (Blackbook 2.0 GHz C2D 2 GB ram
     

Share This Page