Current Macbooks and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John585, Oct 7, 2008.

1. John585 macrumors member

Do you think the current macbooks will be able to run Snow Leopard fine considering it has integrated graphics?

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Macbooks ? Macbook pro or AIR?

or you mean all models

I'm not sure, I think its part the reason they might be news ones on the 14th

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

All the info available so far suggests that it will run on all intel macs. I guess that macbooks just won't be able to take advantage of programmes optimised to use the GPU.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

what does having integrated graphics have to do with snow leopard exactly?

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Snow Leopard incorporates a new standard called OpenCL which allows the GPU into the processing role to help out the CPU.

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I think that they will still be compatible with Snow Leopard, they just might not be able to take advantage of some of the new GPU features that Snow Leopard will present. I think that it is highly unlikely that Apple would essentially drop support of computers that are under 2 years old, yet alone computers that are only months old.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ah, so young.... ;)

I remember long after the specs for Tiger were released Apple were still releasing products with no Core Image compatibility.

All that will happen is that current Macs with integrated graphics will be able to run everything just fine and Apple will eventually replace them with some chipset that has the barest minimum of dedicated graphics grunt just to give them a leg up.

What we will see is a big jump in performance between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro which I think is good. The difference for most people between the MacBook and the Pro is very little at the moment. A big leap in grunt would go a long way towards better product delineation.

8. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

If you've got an Intel Mac, whether it be a notebook or a desktop, Snow Leopard will work- and it will likely make what you have even faster. ;)

If you're not sure whether you've got an Intel Mac or not, you can click that little Apple up in the upper left hand corner, and click "About This Mac". :)