Current macbooks doesn't have multitouch trackpads?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VaDor, Feb 4, 2008.

1. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

Hi,

Everyone saw how cool is macbook air trackpad and what it can do.

My question is, haven't current macbooks/macbooks pro a multitouch trackpad?

Because in any macbook, it detects if you put two fingers that you can scroll!

So if it detects two fingers, can it detect three fingers do slide photos etc etc??

Isn't a question of firmware or software?

edit: If you put three fingers in the trackpad will not scroll... so isn't he detect that you have more than two fingers in the trackpad?

Thanks guys:)

2. ajhaji macrumors regular

This is something I've always wondered. The current MBP can detect the difference between one finger and two fingers, so isn't that kinda "multi-touch"? It might be limited to just two, though, and maybe the definition of "multi" in multi-touch is "more than two"?

3. VaDor thread starter macrumors regular

VaDor

Well I think , if he can detect two fingers and if you put a third won't scroll that this is somehow a multitouch trackpad.

And even if it can only detect two fingers, there are some basic gestures in macbook air that can be applied!!!

The current trackpad can detect horizontal finger too! Try to shrink the window so that horizontal side bar shows up then put two fingers in the trackpad and scroll them in horizontal and the bar moves...

Try then the fingers in the diagonal! And the two side bars will move!!

So i think some hacks can be applied, but first a expert has to see how the macbook air trackpad works and which driver is using..

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Also, if you leave one finger stationary and move the second finger it will still scroll

I have read threads like this before and people say that it does not detect the two fingers separately, but detects rectangles (or something like that) and that it is a hardware issue. However, i have a feeling that is speculation, just like this is.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MacBook Airs have a touchscreen controller chip on the logic board for the multi-touch track pad (this has been identified and confirmed by disassembly of the Air). This is the same chip used in the iPhone and iPod Touch. Current MacBooks (and MacBook Pros) do not have this chip.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm hoping that if Apple does not implement the stretching/rotating features in 10.5.2 due to the different hardware, a developer of an app like Sidetrack could put them into the current MB :)