current macpro or mac mini (server) for video converting

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by garethmob, Apr 20, 2010.

1. garethmob macrumors newbie

hey guys.

just wondering which one above is better. im a student so i dont have a lot of cash but im just wondering which one you would consider the better computer for video converting (VOB or raw dvd to mp2 or avi)

it may also do some occasional light graphics work as well

thanks in advance for any help guys

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

mac pro hands down, it will run rings around the mini ;)

3. garethmob thread starter macrumors newbie

i got a powermac g5 1.8 DP and the late 2008 unibody and the mbp is slow im finding at converting

money aside as a student i can only afford either mid last model or base this which is better?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wouldn't a Mac Pro be overkill for this?

Or do you have to earn your money with it so you need to shave precious minutes (maybe hours) off with every transcoding process. If you ever used a G4 laptop, you would know that the MacBook Pros are quite fast. It took me eight to 15 hours for one movie with an iBook and 1GHz. The MacBook Pro 2.8GHz only takes two at most.
    How many transcoding processes do you have to do on a daily basis?

You can try with your MacBook Pro how fast the transcoding process takes, and that will be the speed with the Mac Mini. The Mac Pro will be faster, but four times more expensive, maybe even more.

5. garethmob thread starter macrumors newbie

the macbook pro for a mp2 file from a raw video format took 5 hrs

my powermac g5 took neally a whole day

i want it as well eventually for a server my g5 currently has leopard server installed

im not really earning money but eventually i hope to with website hosting and my computershops website

i was looking into an xserve but would that be the same problems?