Current MB or 2.16ghz. MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I can get a new 2.4ghz. white MacBook with no interest for 2 years at Best Buy or a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.16ghz. for the same price. I think I could really use the extra hard drive space and ram that the Macbook offers, but I like the larger screen on the MacBook Pro. Is the speed difference between the two worth considering? The 2 years no interest is very convenient for me since I am only 16 and make minimum wage. If I decide on the MacBook anytime today, I'll be able to go to Best Buy and purchase it right away. If not, I'll need to wait a month or so to get the MBP since I'll need to pay for that all at one time and I don't have enough money for it right now. Anyway, I appreciate all of the help.

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Well, like a lot of similar posts on here, the first this is to answer these questions:

1. What do you plan on doing with the laptop?
    2. Are games important to you?
    3. Are you doing any design, editing, etc.?

The difference between 2.4 and 2.16 probably won't be too noticeable. Having more RAM is more important [2GB or 4GB, depending on what you're doing].

I've like the larger screens too, but I currently have a MB, and love it. It's light, easy to use, has plenty of power, and does most, if not all tasks, well. I even do some light picture editing, web design, etc. and it's great.

If you can hold off, I would. Then you can get a refurb MB, and have some extra $$ left over. Use that for a carry case, or game system [unless you already have one].

My 2 Cents...

3. vga4life macrumors 6502

You can upgrade the RAM and HD cheaply on the MBP, but you're never getting a bigger screen or better video card into that Macbook. Also you'll still be able to sell the MBP for $1000 in 2 years due to useful idiots who love to pay too much for used Apple kit. I'd save for the MBP.

4. DarkRevenant macrumors member

What computer are you using right now?

I'd say neither. Wait 2 years before you head off to college and buy a new machine at that time.

5. mchank macrumors regular

Get the Macbook Pro. The CPU differences are negligible, but the video card will be much better and you can't upgrade that unlike a hard drive or memory.

6. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Hold off for a little bit until the release the new updates if you can otherwise I would get the MBP.

7. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

1. I'll be using all of the included programs, but don't plan on using anything that a "pro" would.

2. No, games are something that I reserve for consoles rather than the computer.

3. The most editing that I'll be doing is in iMovie or iPhoto... Nothing big.

The main reason that i want a mac is because I'm fed up with Windows. Just today I attempted to run the trial of Adobe Premier Elements, and my computer would just randomly shut down for no reason.

8. mBurns macrumors 6502

OK, I would not purchase a Mac on credit when you're 16 and making minimum wage. How do you know what your employment status is going to be in 6 months? With minimum wage jobs (from my xp), things can change very quickly. That being said, I'd actually try purchasing the Mac on eBay via buy it now and get cash back from live.com. That's the best deal since there is NO sales tax and a maximum $250 discount. You should be able to find either machine on there and get it for less then from Best Buy or refurb if you hunt. If you do choose the eBay route, please be weary of what you purchase so you don't get scammed -- that would be a shame. Another idea would be to hunt around for a new/used Mac on Craigslist. There are always deals to be found if you take your time. If you go the Craigslist route: meet in a public place (I'd probably bring a parent at your age) and test all the different features of the Mac before purchasing to make sure it's 100% working.

Best of luck with your decision! Keep us apprised.

9. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all of the help guys. I couldn't resist the urge to go out to Best Buy last night and get a brand new Macbook. So far, zero regrets. The smaller screen is not noticeable at all for some reason. This thing is so fast! Thank you to everyone that helped me decide. :)