Current MBP and what I want to know

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rnimz, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Rnimz macrumors newbie

I am trying to play Star Wars the Old Republic on my current MPB. Here are the specs for what is needed for it and what I have on my MBP. Please let me know if my MBP can run it. Thank you for your help.

MY MBP
    Processor 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

SWTOR
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better
    RAM: Windows XP - 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7 - 2 GB, PCs using a built-in graphical chipset - 2 GB recommended
    Video Card: ATI X1800 or better*, nVidia 7800 or better*, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
    DVD-ROM: 8x or better

2. trikky macrumors regular

Doesn't say anything about Mac OS, so unless you're running Windows using one of the many ways possible, the answer would be 'no'.

3. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say no you mean I won't be able to play?

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Looks like the game is windows only first off. Do you have bootcamp setup on your machine?

If not then it won't run period ... if your information supplied on the game is correct it only runs on windows machine.

Second your machine is under the "base system requirements" so even if you did setup windows if it ran at all it would likely be so sluggish and laggy it would provide an "unplayable" experience.

5. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the current Mbp be able to run it. I am guessing the answer is yes

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

No. Unless it has Windows on it.

And which MBP are you talking about? The 17" would run it a lot better than the 13" base model.

7. jupman macrumors newbie

Thinking via the keyboard: So- if I upgrade to 16GB of memory and change then the memory of WinXP VM system to 2 or 4GB...will I be able to run it on my 2011 I7 2.2 17" early MBP? hehe

8. simsaladimbamba

No, as the game still needs a good GPU, and using Windows virtualised, will not get you good GPU power. But it may be possible, I played C&C for Windows from my then roommate via VMWare Fusion on a 2007 iMac. It was playable.

9. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

I am talking about the 15inch with windows installed.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

your current machine has a Radeon X1600. The system requirements mention a X1800 as minimum requirement. So it won't work. It might start, but performance will be very bad.

Any new MBP with dedicated GPU (i.e. the 15'' or 17'') will run the game fine, provided you install windows in some way.