Current MBPs - 64bit ready?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmptyG, Jul 20, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

This may have been answered, but I can't find a simple (maybe) answer...

Leopard is going to be full 64 bit, from what I read. So does that mean that current MacBook Pros (like mine, the pre-SR 2.33 version) is / will be fully compatible with Leopard, and other 64 bit programs?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

All Macs that have either Core 2, Xeon or G5 processors will be able to fully utilise Leopard's 64-bit features from top to bottom. Do not believe what anyone else may tell you.

On the other hand most Windows machines, whatever the processor, are sticking with the 32-bit version of Vista due to driver and software issues with the 64-bit version. A work colleague of mine bought the 64-bit OEM version to install on his desktop with an AMD 64 processor and lost his sound, internet and had several other issues. He sold this and went for the 32-bit version with little issue. Eventually he bought an iMac, (something he said he'd only ever do once you could put Windows on it, didn't want to use OS X), installed XP under Boot Camp and since has only used it a handful of times, mainly using OS X, and not bothered upgrading that to Vista.

Watch Apple possibly make a big deal of the 64-bitness of Leopard compared to Vista on competitors machines.

4. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured. Thanks for the responses, all :)