Current MBs have a long future?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tensakun, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. Tensakun macrumors 6502


    Jan 21, 2008
    Akashi, Japan
    Amid all the speculation of the "imminent" release of a new MacBook, I'm wondering about the practical usable life of the current MBs. May give up the wait game soon and get a replacement for my trusty 12" PB, which is starting to really wheeze in Leopard and even MS Office '08.

    But I wonder, given advances in apps and tech, whether a couple years or even less down the road I'll be muttering "gotta get a faster machine!" My uses are modest--Office, Dreamweaver, light work in graphics/video/music. Since I'll be getting a US keyboard but using in Japan, reselling ain't so convenient. Any input appreciated.
  2. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Should keep you going for at least 3-4 years.
  3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2008
    I'd say buy the current revision. It'll last for 3-5 years and the current model doesn't have many issues. If you wait for new MacBooks, you always risk them sucking and you having problems with it for the rest of its lifespan.
  4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

    Nov 21, 2007
    London, UK
    I'll be a tad conservative here. Having a Rev D MacBook, I don't have any problems with it. The problems I have had are self-inflicted software ones. Think of it as "I know Linux. Since Leopard is UNIX-based, I'll muck in its innards with my 1337 Linux skillz...."

    If you get a MacBook now, it will be an Rev E. I'm sure that it will be rock solid and give you quite a few years of good service.

    Of course it's tempting to get the latest and greatest. But the forums are filled with the agony of Rev A buyers. :rolleyes:
  5. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

    Jul 18, 2005
    hey thats me! my macbook died i think...are the current macbooks stable?
  6. Tensakun thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jan 21, 2008
    Akashi, Japan

    Thanks for all of the comments. Sounds like pretty solid advice!:)
  7. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

    Westsider 4 Mac

    Apr 12, 2007
    On the West Side
    Almost Always...

    ... looking to upgrade unless the current tech meets my personal specs. With that, if you can grab a refurb MB and ride it out until the MB refresh, I believe that would put you in a good place.:apple:
  8. illidian macrumors 6502

    Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    The amount of cores (two) in the MacBook will be its demise more than any other factor.
  9. bigjnyc macrumors 603


    Apr 10, 2008
    if you've waited this long it wont hurt to wait a month or 2 more for the newest revision and save yourself some buyers remorse and worrying.

Share This Page